Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ashamed of needing a cpap, don't want wife to see me.
RE: Ashamed of needing a cpap, don't want wife to see me.
(11-05-2017, 08:01 PM)Kryogen Wrote: I am so terribly ashamed of putting a cpap on that I only do it after turning the lights off. I even try to sleep the whole night turned the other way so she doesn't see me.

How do you guys/girls feel about using the cpap and your partner seeing you?

She says that she doesn't care, that when she sleeps she isn't looking at me anyway, and she much prefers me during the day if I'm not a zombie all day. 
And she is kind of right, but still, I feel like crap putting that mask on my face at night, I feel like a cripple.

There is no need to what so ever, it is just how you feel, trust me, they think nothing of it.
Even others think nothing of it when I stayed with others, so don't worry yourself about it, the only person that thinks anything of it is yourself.
I know it is easy to think you are some sort of freak using CPAP at night, but there is so many people use it these days it might just surprise you.
At my last visit to the hospital the nurse said she and another two nurses were so busy they couldn't see everyone every year.
In the old days when machines were very noisy it was a bit of a problem, but these days they are very quiet.
She say she is not bother about you using CPAP, so why are you so bothered?
I bet she would rather you using CPAP than snoring and having to worry about you stopping breathing.
So stop worrying about it, life is to short for that!   Smile
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2017, 01:23 PM)zzzZorro Wrote: But just think how proud of you she will be when a nightime home invader runs away screaming after YOU have confronted him in full-mask regalia snorting thru the air hose you are dragging behind .. Big Grinnie

With my glock 17 Tongue
Post Reply Post Reply
Lol ... she seems to love you so just let it go on your end! She would rather have you alive and breathing correctly at night! I never ever thought about this with my wife. She would not let me go a night without my mask or machine on at night! Obtw ... she uses a CPAP now! Lol
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to laugh when I masked up yesterday - my husband spontaneously said, "You know what I like about your cpap? You always put your hair in a ponytail when you wear it. You look so cute in a ponytail!"

Made me think of your thread. Of course we've been married a good deal longer than you. We're old enough to be your parents. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2017, 07:12 PM)kiwii Wrote: I had to laugh when I masked up yesterday - my husband spontaneously said, "You know what I like about your cpap? You always put your hair in a ponytail when you wear it. You look so cute in a ponytail!"

Made me think of your thread. Of course we've been married a good deal longer than you. We're old enough to be your parents. Smile

I think he may telling you to wear a pony tail more often.  Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
Ponytails are 'special' and kept for the bedroom. You really don't want to flaunt it or it loses it's appeal and look cheap.  Dielaughing
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you guys are onto something! Thinking-about 

Kryogen - I saw a celebrity talking about feeling the same way that you were. She got over it when her spouse filmed her sleeping and she got to see herself stop breathing. That would sure be sobering!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 152 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  New and Needing Help... ranvanman 12 712 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SnoozeBest
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 315 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 908 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Needing some advice.. SleepyWeasel 16 1,500 12-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Treatment thread for robbob2112 wife - need help robbob2112 7 488 11-11-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] ivorpetkov (my wife) - Therapy Thread ivorpetkov 17 1,085 11-09-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: ivorpetkov

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.