Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ashamed of needing a cpap, don't want wife to see me.
RE: Ashamed of needing a cpap, don't want wife to see me.
My husband laughs. Called me a snuffleupagus, and then later a koala (think P10). Luckily I have a fairly thick skin, and although he definitely means it, he also thinks my health is more important than other things. Like Sleeprider, though, you are the age of my children... these things do carry a lot more importance before you give it up as you age. You are fortunate tho. You are treating your apnea before it has a chance to do years worth of damage. Trust your wife to love you no matter. She will feel the trust and respond in kind and you will grow a deeper relationship.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
You're thinking about it wrong. MY Dreamwear mask lets me breathe under the covers - *way* under the covers as long as I want. My wife loves it.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing that might help bring it all into perspective is to remember the first time you got glasses for reading. Maybe you haven't yet, but when I finally had to get some in my forties, after years of thinking how "lucky" I was I'd never needed them, I thought eesh, I just can't get used to the idea that I need this artificial device on my face just to perform a basic biological function -- seeing. What's worse, I'll have to wear these contraptions out in public and everyone, not just loved ones who care about me, but complete strangers, will see me wearing them.

Not saying you should wear your CPAP mask & headgear out on a city bus or at the mall, but the one you vowed to each other "for better or for worse, in sickness and in health" will surely find it in her heart not only to look past what you're understandably initially self-conscious about, but will fully support you as much as you would her.
Post Reply Post Reply
Think of it this way.
You'll likely be more embarrassed when she's changing your diapers because you didn't use it and blew a stroke in your sleep.
Or just go to sleep and never wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2017, 08:52 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Get her one too?   Smile
Seriously...   She's complained about my snoring for years, and it finally got to the point that we were seriously concerned after a few instances waking up feeling that I could not breathe.

Of course, I constantly heard her snoring, but she always denied having a problem.

I got mine, then a month later she got hers.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was delighted when my husband got his CPAP--I could finally sleep without his snoring and stop-breathing episodes that woke me up. Then a couple of years later I ended up with my own CPAP. We have to sleep back to back in order not to blow the exhale air at each other but have never had a problem. With a machine going on each side of the bed I do wear a soft foam earplug in my top-side ear. I'm certain she will be thankful that you are a lot quieter bed pardner!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok thanks all
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll admit that I was self conscious about it, too. Once that starts, it's a hard habit to break. So suck it up, it's for the benefit of both of you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
In reply to CB91710

We resemble this remark Grin
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think I ever felt "ashamed" but my vanity took a hit. It wasn't so much how I looked, or how I imagined I looked, as it was the sheer pathetic quality of being unable to sleep "right" without a...contraption. Sleeping should be the simplest, most natural thing one can do, as I thought, and yet I was apparently unable to do it right.

I still get pangs of that feeling when I wake up feeling unrested even when the machine says I had a "good" night. But mostly I'm just grateful that the technology exists.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 206 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 206 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  New and Needing Help... ranvanman 12 804 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SnoozeBest
  First Time Oscar User - Needing Help Interpreting Data justinjj 2 347 02-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 985 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Needing some advice.. SleepyWeasel 16 1,600 12-08-2023, 12:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Treatment thread for robbob2112 wife - need help robbob2112 7 525 11-11-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.