Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Assistance with my configuration
RE: Assistance with my configuration
Inhale pressure on the ASV is potentially high enough to trigger ASV. We usually observe the results of the default setting trial and if there is aerophagia, work with the pressure support settings to find an acceptable range. The default starts off very low at 8.0/5.0, but IPAP can rise to 20 quickly to treat apnea. You would not be the first to have the problem, but we do mange to find a compromise for most individuals.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks hopefully it doesn’t get worse on ASV. At first I had no pain but it was uncomfortable during the day. Then it got really painful and has now calmed down a bit. Guess I just need to get used to it perhaps.

Regarding hypopnea, out of curiosity can these be more central and/or obstruction focused? If so is it possible to tell by looking at the flow charts?
Post Reply Post Reply
Generally with central apnea the hypopnea tend to be central as well. We can look at the flow rate chart and assume obstruction when flow limitation is present with hypopnea, and central if it is just a gradual waning of flow followed by gradual increase in flow.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the explanation. I have posted my past 3 nights here. Will call CPAP place once I can get off this meeting.

Would this be called "complex sleep apnea" because I have both OSA and CA?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Complex Apnea: "Complex sleep apnea is the term used to describe a form of sleep disordered breathing in which repeated central apneas (>5/hour) persist or emerge when obstructive events are extinguished with positive airway pressure (PAP) and for which there is not a clear cause for the central apneas..."
According to https://www.hindawi.com/journals/sd/2014/798487/

I'd guess this definition/description applies.

Do note that regardless of OA, H, or CA, this ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV will beat down all apnea, hypopnea, and even flow limits.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
'complex' apnea refers to apnea that includes treatment emergent pressure induced central apnea, while 'mixed' apnea refers to apnea that includes idiopathic central apnea, i.e., central apnea with no known cause. I believe mixed apnea also includes central apnea caused by a known underlying condition, but I'm not sure of this.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the explanation. Bilevel PAP-ST is this a less smart ASV?

I think my average CA is just under 5/hour at 4/hour however I think they are waking me up so it's probably worth getting those resolved. I am still curious if I should ask my doctor to investigate further to find out the cause. When I spoke to him on Saturday he didn't think I would have any heart problems as I am very active and only 32 years old. Is there anything I could ask him to look at perhaps anyone can think of?

I remember getting woken up just before 8:30am this morning and struggled for some time (over 30minutes) to get back to sleep. I seem to get more easily woken if its the last 3 hours of my sleep.

Called CPAP place they will have ASV for me on Thursday so only another 3 nights of this.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ST has fixed pressure and pressure support and is intended to treat a completely different problem. Just my opinion, but I think the ST days are numbered as it is an obsolete technology, even for the pulmonary disease and hypoventilation it is intended to treat, and has been replaced with by the ST-A with iVAPS technology that can target ventilation rate. ST is a dumb machine and almost never works for for people like you. https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf

That link describes both ASV and ST. Read and understand. You will be better off if you really understand the intent of both machines and how they work.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sure the ST won't be nearly as helpful to your therapy needs as the ASV. A major strike against the ST is it's not designed to combat CA in any flavor.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, reading this stuff is really interesting. Interesting to see the s9 vpap tx has every mode available (although I guess being used in a lab would make sense for that), makes you think that all of the machines would be capable of doing every mode and they are just limiting the functionality via software/firmware. You would think if this was the case then they could have a single machine and just unlock whatever modes are required for the patient as required rather than getting a new machine.. I guess making $$ is a thing though.

I guess I might be "at-risk" for something like COPD because I was a smoker some years ago. I decided that I didn't want to get sick and die so I stopped smoking and started getting fit and exercising. I don't really get breathless doing anything except heavy cardio now although I think I used to when I smoked. I recently (last week) asked my doc if I could do a lung function test (not related to sleep apnea) because I wanted to see how healthy I was now. He won't let me do one yet because of COVID he said the test thing they use is potentially risky in the current environment. I had bloods taken and found my cholesterol went from 7.5 to 5.1 so I was really happy with that (I went from high cholesterol to normal). I was curious about how my lungs might be although I don't know if I had any previous results.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  [Treatment] Interpreting OSCAR data - any assistance would be incredibly appreciated :) SleepyVoyager 20 895 02-29-2024, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 276 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Question [Diagnosis] NEWBIE Looking for first diagnosis assistance Gothenburg85 5 341 02-16-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: Gothenburg85
  AutoSV data interpretation assistance needed PappaJoe 21 687 02-11-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  [CPAP] Assistance with OSCAR Data runnermeep 17 763 01-31-2024, 04:43 PM
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 13 1,015 01-06-2024, 03:57 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.