Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] How to review raw .edf data
How to review raw .edf data
Anybody know how I can easily review the raw .edf data from my sleep study on a Mac?

I want to see what was happening all night. My sleep doctor presented a one page printout of 60 seconds only. When I asked to see the full study, his team sent me the raw .edf and .xml files on a data CD.

The CD did include a 15-year old version of Polyman v1 for Windows PC which is woefully difficult to operate and I could never wrangle the data into a useable view (on a borrowed computer). 

Any suggestions? I can only find Windows solutions and I only have a Mac. If there is a great solution on Windows, I could borrow the system again. Thanks in advance for any tips!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to review raw .edf data
Search for a free edf viewer. There are several of them.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks but I'm not lazy haha, I exhausted Google already. Looking for free MAC software that I don't have to compile myself.

There is one browser-based tool that allows you to view up to 60 seconds at a time and it's very slow to scroll to the next minute. Reviewing the data would take longer than the study itself lol.

If there are several I overlooked perhaps you could post a specific example?
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2018, 04:51 PM)ScoobyDoo Wrote: Thanks but I'm not lazy haha, I exhausted Google already. Looking for free MAC software that I don't have to compile myself.

There is one browser-based tool that allows you to view up to 60 seconds at a time and it's very slow to scroll to the next minute. Reviewing the data would take longer than the study itself lol.

If there are several I overlooked perhaps you could post a specific example?

What is your objection to compiling software that would display the .EDF files on your Mac?

(It seems that the best ones I've seen that work on MacOS require compiling.  There may be a Java-based app out there, but I can't get into the Mac PlayStore so  Dont-know )
Post Reply Post Reply
My objection is that I'm not a software developer, and I'd rather not clutter up my system with the Xcode, Matlab, etc, compiling requirements, let alone the complexity of operating those complicated tools which are usually documented by engineers and is not in plain-speak. 

My hope was/is that someone already knows of an existing resources for end users.
Post Reply Post Reply
Until you've done it a few times, getting the Mac development suite set up can be pretty daunting. Last time I checked, you practically had to sign up as a Apple developer. Fortunately, my Mac laptop died a few years ago and I decided I could not afford to replace it.

I think using a Python program would be easier, since the Mac has the interpreter already installed. But I'm not sure, since I'm pretty comfortable with the terminal shell.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 162 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,012 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Sleep Study Review - Missed PLMS? pezhead99 4 331 01-22-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: WhyMe
  New"ish" CPAP user. OSCAR review tippmann87 12 715 01-19-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airsense 11 Autoset Oscar Data - How to Review goblue2024 1 422 01-09-2024, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 526 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
Question Please Review My Data (Oximeter Info Included) — Still Tired Despite "Good" Treatment avhenry 16 1,985 12-04-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.