Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Attempting to install OSCAR 1.3.1 on Raspberry Pi 3B
Attempting to install OSCAR 1.3.1 on Raspberry Pi 3B
Raspberry Pi OS with desktop
Release date: January 28th 2022
System: 64-bit
Kernel version: 5.10
Debian version: 11 (bullseye)

OSCAR_1.3.1-RasPiOS_armhf

Install attempt had two dependency errors.
One I was able fix. Found libdouble-conversion1:armhf deb file at a mirror.

The second one is a head scratcher. qttranslations5-l10n:armhf

They are translation files that are architecture independent.

apt list shows

qttranslations5-l10n/stable, stable, now 5.15.2-2 all [installed]

Is the problem the fact I am using arm64 PI OS?d

Thanks for any insights.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Attempting to install OSCAR 1.3.1 on Raspberry Pi 3B
If you are running the 64 bir RasPiOS you can't use the armhf version, you need an arm64 version.

I think we built v1.3.1 before the 64 bit version of RasPiOS was released, but you could try using the Chromebook arm64 version. I'm not sure it will work, but it might.

I'll make sure we have both armhf and arm64 for RasPiOS at our next release.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RasPiOS is for Pi with Raspbian.
I think Chromebook arm64 version is built with Debian 10.
If you try to install in a Debian 11, there will be an error because of depend : libdouble-conversion1 VS libdouble-conversion3.
From France. English spoken. Equipped since end of 2009. ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset since November 2023.
Linux user since 2009 --> current main distribution : Xubuntu 22.04 (laptop)
LUG (named ALDIL) Member since 2015. certifications : ITIL© and ISTQB©

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2022, 02:14 PM)pholynyk Wrote: I'll make sure we have both armhf and arm64 for RasPiOS at our next release.

2 quick things:

1:  You and your colleagues have made the world a better place — by empowering sleep apnea patients to take charge of their own condition!

2:  At the moment, OSCAR 1.4.0 (released June 2022) is only available for the 32-bit (armhf) version of the Raspberry Pi's operating system.  If you have the opportunity, it would be awesome if the 64-bit (arm64) version could be added!

Thanks again for all your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DreamStationMike!  - Welcome

Out of curiosity, what benefit is there by having a 64 bit version?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2022, 07:47 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Out of curiosity, what benefit is there by having a 64 bit version?

I appreciate your reply!

There would almost certainly be no "intrinsic" benefit to having a 64-bit version of OSCAR on the Raspberry Pi.

The benefit would be entirely "extrinsic" — because a large portion of Raspberry Pi 4 users are now using the 64-bit OS exclusively.  That's partly because the 64-bit OS is the only one that allows full use of RAM on the very popular 4 GB and 8 GB models (each process on the 32-bit OS is limited to a maximum of 3 GB RAM).

So in my case, for example — since my entire Raspberry system is running on the 64-bit OS — I would have to make the considerable effort of creating a totally separate SD card with the 32-bit version of RPi OS — for the sole purpose of running one application (OSCAR).  Or, I would have to build the 64-bit version from raw source code — a technically-demanding task with an uncertain outcome (I successfully compiled it last year, but it was quite the project).

As an aside, even though I'm an experienced Linux user, I initially failed to notice the "armhf" in the filename of the OSCAR package I downloaded.  As a result, when I went to install it on my 64-bit system, I encountered a series of bizarre error messages that led to a lot of fruitless troubleshooting — until I eventually realized that all of my difficulty was due to the 32-bit / 64-bit mismatch.  That confusion, of course, was entirely my fault.

OSCAR is truly outstanding software!  A readily-available 64-bit version would greatly expand its adoption on the versatile and low-cost Raspberry platform!
Post Reply Post Reply
OK! Thanks for the education. I was under the assumption that the 64-bit OS would be backward compatible to allow running 32-bit apps.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2022, 06:04 PM)DreamStationMike Wrote: If you have the opportunity, it would be awesome if the 64-bit (arm64) version could be added!

We're looking into what it would take to provide an arm64 version.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2022, 11:12 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: OK! Thanks for the education.   I was under the assumption that the 64-bit OS would be backward compatible to allow running 32-bit apps.

- Red

Many 32-bit packages will indeed run on the Raspberry's 64-bit OS.  But some, unfortunately, will not.

Thanks for reviewing my thoughts, btw — you guys do an impressive job on here!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [split] OSCAR v1.5.2 is Install Problems millerdq 1 181 03-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  OSCAR Windows Portable No-Install CraigKevin 17 2,559 03-14-2024, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Ossy01
Question Failed drive, now cannot install or uninstall Oscar jmac862 8 789 01-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: SGKent
  Can't install Oscar. Ficklid22 14 1,687 11-13-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  How To install prisma ts software ? Amir Eid 11 8,490 05-26-2023, 02:06 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Unable to install Oscar on ubuntu 22.04 BrassCat 2 820 05-17-2023, 07:19 PM
Last Post: BrassCat
Question Can't install the Prisma Software on Win11 Budgie 0 680 01-15-2023, 05:16 AM
Last Post: Budgie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.