Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hypopnea Clusters
Question 
Hypopnea Clusters
I have been on APAP now for 90 days with good results for OA and CA but I am still being plagued by Hypopnea. Last night for example 23 H events were recorded in 6:38, not a bad result you might say but the events are clustered, 3 events within 19 minutes again not too bad, then 8 events in 14 minutes, again 8 events in 28 minutes and a couple of isolated events to make up the total. Not only are these clustered but they are surprisingly regular with major clusters regularly betwen 1:30-2:00 AND 3:30-4:00.
Current settings are pressure min 6 max 17, EPR 3, Humidity and Line Temp on Auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hypopnea Clusters
It could be just a matter of raising your minimum starting pressure a little. Mabye to 6.5 or 7 and watch for awhile.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2015, 05:18 PM)robanco Wrote: Current settings are pressure min 6 max 17, EPR 3, Humidity and Line Temp on Auto.
What is the median, 95th percentile, and maximum pressure and leak?
I prefer to set my minimum pressure close to the 95th percentile so pressure doesn't have to climb a great deal to deal with any events and not a lot of variation in pressure during the night ... YMMV

I'm not fan of EPR and don't think necessary if on variable pressure, I would turn it off
Some people might disagree, that is normal, everyone is different

As for humidity, I set the control on manual ... tube temp 23C - humidity 3, no rainout
On auto, the air feel too warm for me, unlike later models, tube temp is not adjustable on my machine ...
What is good from someone, not necessarily good for someone else
Post Reply Post Reply
All good advice above... In my own words:

Use the software and see where the pressure is for the clusters of hypos. I'd wager it's when the autoset has retreated on pressure.
If so, then raising the min pressure would likely reduce clustering.

Also, look at your high sample rate flow data to see if it's reduced in amplitude during the time frame of the clusters -- another indication partial airway restriction.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 86 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  Help Interpreting Oscar Charts - Huge Clusters of OA Heaviside 3 378 02-22-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 825 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,060 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  HYPOPNEA verification dataq1 22 1,151 02-06-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Hypopnea - Resmed scoring Opus1 22 1,114 12-03-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Opus1
  3% vs 4% Hypopnea Scoring gohoos1998 7 1,045 10-08-2023, 06:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.