Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Australian Medicare support for CPAP ?
RE: Australian Medicare support for CPAP ?
Quote:A machine purchased from an American supplier will need an adapter plug to use on OZ outlets,
Actually all you need is a new Figure-8 power cord which is less hassle than using an adapter. Get it from OfficeWorks, Hardly Normal or almost any electrical dealer.

https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/...2m_n_a.jpg
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2017, 07:00 PM)ajack Wrote: over AU$1,000 inc. freight, there is an aussie 10% tax and customs clearance agent charges. You can do customs yourself, but you will need to sort it out beforehand.

There is no GST on imported CPAP devices - they are exempt. You're correct that Customs impose some sort of handling fee which seems to be around $50, depending on who you talk to.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just wonder, those that buy their machine from overseas or gumtree, do you set your settings yourself when you have the machine? And also, how does that work with the people that did the study with you, do they still get involved down the track?

I'm a newbie so sorry Smile I'm on week 3 trialing CPAP, first two weeks F & P Machine now on a Resmed one, but my sleep study place charges $ 2280 for that machine and I be having to pay it out of my own pocket (no Insurance)
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I'm a newbie so sorry

We were all newbies once.

Some of the American on-line providers will set up the machine for you if you provide a prescription. Otherwise it's really easy to do it yourself - just get hold of the clinician manual from the link at the top of this page. Read the instructions carefully to make sure you get the right manual for your machine.

Quote:And also, how does that work with the people that did the study with you, do they still get involved down the track?

I haven't seen my clinic in nearly three years. So long as you can get your pressures dialled in (with help from this forum) and don't have any major problems, there's not a lot the clinic can do for you that you can't do yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2017, 11:54 PM)ajack Wrote: cheapest is online and secondhand from gumtree etc, just make sure they are low hours and download the manual to how to find the hours.
I bought an auto machine for the 200 they were going to charge me for a trial. It gives you time to work out what you like and need. The new machine will be informed and you will have a spare if needed.

Sorry, I have only used a CPAP for one night!!!  Im looking around to get an idea of prices - can I ask what you mean by "low hours" if buying secondhand.  Does that mean low usage hours?  Sily question probably!!!  Thanks Poppy
Post Reply Post Reply
yes the 'run hours' is the total hours the machine has been used, I would set the max to around 3,000 that I would buy, you may get 12,000 out of a machine. make sure it is fully auto and ask here about any model you are looking at.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Popsicals, welcome to Apnea Board.

Yes the low hours refers to the usage the machine has received. In most (all?) machines there will be a menu item to show "total hours", "blower hours" or something like that. Think of this as the odometer in your car - it measures total usage since the machine left the factory. You may also see "usage hours" which is more like a trip meter and can be re-set.

Resmed machines sold in Australia generally have a five year warranty - taking a conservative average of eight hours/night, this means the machine should be good for 5 x 365 x 8 = 14,600 hours. Obviously some last much longer than that and there will be some premature failures, but that's a reasonable rule of thumb. Low hours to me means something that's had less than a year of use - under 3000 hours or preferably much less than that.

More important than the actual hours is the condition of the machine - does it look well cared for? Are the filters clean? Has it been used in a smoking household or there any questionable odours.

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much.

This is the response Iv had from the seller:

Good afternoon.
The unit is as brand new with little use.
It has brand new unused and sealed heated hose, chamber, filter.
New bag and manuals all included.
I have an unused Resmed P10 Nasal Pillow mask for $99.00 (rrp is $299).
If you wish to purchase just let me know.
Pay Pal is fine for payment.
Thank you

The cost is $1295.  Sorry if Im not allowed to say that?  Iv just emailed again to ask size of pillow mask and for actual run hours - I assume they will know how to do this as it is their machine?  Im VERY new and trying to learn as much as I can.  Looks like this website is going to help me alot.  Thanks so much  Thanks

Thanks

Poppy
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this the machine advertised by "CPAP" on Gumtree as "NEAR NEW RESMED AIRSENSE 10 AUTOSET CPAP MACHINE"?

You can get the same machine brand new for $1790 at Perth CPAP, plus $150 for a five year warranty. Your health fund will probably give you a rebate (anywhere between $300 and $1200 depending on the fund) which may bring the price down to very close to the used item. If you join Resmed's "community" at https://www.sleepvantage.com.au/ prior to purchasing you will likely get the 5 year warranty for free.

Have a look at the various on-line sellers here in Oz - most of them will be in that ballpark. You can potentially save quite a bit of money by purchasing from the United States though there are a few wrinkles in that process which could trip you up. These include: cost of transport to Oz, AU$ v US$ exchange rate (currently around 75c), delays in customs and a $50 customs handling fee, no medical fund rebate, no warranty service (you'd have to return the machine to the seller).
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2017, 11:59 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Is this the machine advertised by "CPAP" on Gumtree as "NEAR NEW RESMED AIRSENSE 10 AUTOSET CPAP MACHINE"?

You can get the same machine brand new for $1790 at Perth CPAP, plus $150 for a five year warranty. Your health fund will probably give you a rebate (anywhere between $300 and $1200 depending on the fund) which may bring the price down to very close to the used item. If you join Resmed's "community" at prior to purchasing you will likely get the 5 year warranty for free.

Have a look at the various on-line sellers here in Oz - most of them will be in that ballpark. You can potentially save quite a bit of money by purchasing from the United States though there are a few wrinkles in that process which could trip you up. These include: cost of transport to Oz, AU$ v US$ exchange rate (currently around 75c), delays in customs and a $50 customs handling fee, no medical fund rebate, no warranty service (you'd have to return the machine to the seller).

Yes thats the one.  I too think the price is high, hence why its been up for sale for a while.  Ideally I would like to buy in Oz with warranty as at this stage I dont know enough and require the cover.....  Is alot of money to have no comeback!  Im hoping to maybe request a pricematch through my sleep clinic, who I am currently hiring from.  I only used it last night for the first time with the nasal face "thingy"  Bigwink.  Iv got the pillow to try too, but I felt like I couldnt breath out properly with that at the clinic, but am going to try again.  The pressure was on 4 and goes up gradually (I woke a few time and it was up to 9.4/9.8) - sadly I have no idea what is good or bad Dielaughing !!!.  The reading this morning was 1.5, which I believe to be good as they wanted less than 5 (my sleep study was 22, but due to movement, etc they felt it could have been higher???).  Im on an macbook air computer and struggling to download the 'sleepyhead' programme (I found the link on here) - it won't open.... I will speak with the clinic on Wednesday about getting access - I really want to understand all aspects of this.  Thank you so much for your assistance.  It means alot as, at this stage, I have no idea what I am doing  Rolleyes.  Thank you.  Poppy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Tech Support Jeremy H 11 1,331 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 148 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  High Pressure Support / EPR r4robin 3 406 02-16-2024, 08:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Lowenstein prima 25s support ? cbow48 6 679 02-14-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Macka
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.