Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Australian forum members - a question about humidifier use
RE: Australian forum members - a question about humidifier use
(07-23-2014, 06:25 AM)zonk Wrote: We,re friendly lot around here but when comes to what water to put in our water tank, the friendliness goes out of the window Too-funny

Sort of like the Ford vs Holden thing.....

I use the supermarket demineralised water - and ignore the 'not for medical use' disclaimer on the bottle....

Town or Tap water works fine but you will need to clean out the salty build-up that is left behind after the town water evaporates.
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not use bore water in the tank. But good quality (Canberra) water I think would be fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good thread guys.

I'm on tank water on the sunshine coast but will be moving to town water next year and never even thought of this. A friend of mine is on town water and he noticed a build up of minerals in his tank and I wondered why mine didn't do it. Also, my humidifier ticks where his doesn't?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think if I was determined to use the tank water, I would at least boil it.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2014, 07:16 AM)TheBigUnit Wrote: Good thread guys.

I'm on tank water on the sunshine coast but will be moving to town water next year and never even thought of this. A friend of mine is on town water and he noticed a build up of minerals in his tank and I wondered why mine didn't do it. Also, my humidifier ticks where his doesn't?
I would not use the water from tank water or rainwater tank, get some distilled water
As for minerals build ups, dump the left over water and wash the tank each morning, also weekly clean the tank using a solution of 1 part vinegar to 10 parts of water

Mine does not tick, some do, the tick every few seconds, something to do with the humidifier thermostat
Talk to ResMed customer service, maybe its faulty
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2014, 05:33 AM)Tez62 Wrote: Crist, you haven't missed anything, everyone has their own opinion to use distilled, boiled or tap water. I use distilled, I get 2lts from Coles for $1.59 and it lasts me 2 weeks, I empty and wash out the chamber twice a week and top up to just below the water level line each night. Distilled water is normally recommended but not everyone uses it. There are quite a few posts on it in this forum, some people talk about distilled water having taken all the minerals out. I have just done what was suggested to me when I got my CPAP just over 3 years ago and have never had any problems. Hope this helps.

I use water sourced from a triple stage water filter system.
As I religiously clean my humidifier with dilute white vinegar and a firm brush (in all nooks and crannies) on a weekly basis, and refill the chamber on a daily basis, I believe that the use of expensive distilled water could be an overkill. I am sure that the cost of the distilled water would be excessive over a period of time.
Regards.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use boiled water. Was told by Dr's at the sleep clinic at local hospital to do so. All the bottled distilled water i've seen say NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION
I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled water from a local grocery/general store. It is produced by a local company whose main business is producing and delivering water in 5-gallon carboys for use in office coolers. The 1-gallon jugs I buy are marked "dispensed in sterile containers". I dump and wash the water tub daily, and don't concern myself with cost, as the price is around 70 cents/gallon. A single gallon will provide a lot of refills.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2014, 02:55 AM)DrWho? Wrote: I use boiled water. Was told by Dr's at the sleep clinic at local hospital to do so. All the bottled distilled water i've seen say NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION

The reason for distilled water is because it contains no minerals and will not cause mineral buildup in your humidifier tank.

It's also non-conductive so if you get any in your machine, there's a chance it won't be ruined.

Boiling water kills bacteria, but does not remove minerals. Distilled water is distilled by boiling.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Pureau filtered water (comes in a wine-cask style of packaging) from the supermarket. I used to use the 'boiled then cooled' water technique for years, but recently found that this was a good alternative. It works better for me, at any rate, as I find there's less discolouration of the plastic in the water tub.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  [Mod Note] Attention Advisory Members - Vote Now Sleeprider 1 285 02-27-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 763 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Admin Note] Members-Only FILES SuperSleeper 13 399 02-16-2024, 06:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 353 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.