Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Australians - importing from USA - experiences?
Australians - importing from USA - experiences?
As per the title, I would like to hear of any experiences Australian forum members may have had importing a machine from the USA. The CPAP shop associated with my doctor wants full retail for a Resmed Airsense Autoset A10 (AUD$2,578) which at current rates is equivalent to US$1,989 but the very first US shop I looked at has them for US$879  !!
Add a bit for freight and perhaps GST and duty and it seems that a considerable saving could be had. Of course this has to be weighed up with the risk of loss or damage in transit, problems getting service or warranty claims etc. Please let me know if you have any experience importing a machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Australians - importing from USA - experiences?
(04-04-2018, 06:59 PM)bernie01 Wrote: As per the title, I would like to hear of any experiences Australian forum members may have had importing a machine from the USA. The CPAP shop associated with my doctor wants full retail for a Resmed Airsense Autoset A10 (AUD$2,578) which at current rates is equivalent to US$1,989 but the very first US shop I looked at has them for US$879  !!
Add a bit for freight and perhaps GST and duty and it seems that a considerable saving could be had. Of course this has to be weighed up with the risk of loss or damage in transit, problems getting service or warranty claims etc. Please let me know if you have any experience importing a machine.

You may want to check Canada as well for prices. Supplier #32 has that machine as a package for $899 Canadian dollars. Cpapoutlet Work Around Link Removed.  (posting a link is against forum rules here) has the package including a mask for $845 CDN, and the machine with carrying case, slimline hose, and basics other than the mask for $810 CDN. Not sure if there is any less hassle importing from Canada compared to the USA. I recall our Prime Minister ticked off your Prime Minister a while back over trade (stood him up at a meeting). But then again we are apparently buying your antique rusted out F-18 Hornet fighter jets...

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2018, 07:47 PM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 06:59 PM)bernie01 Wrote: As per the title, I would like to hear of any experiences Australian forum members may have had importing a machine from the USA. The CPAP shop associated with my doctor wants full retail for a Resmed Airsense Autoset A10 (AUD$2,578) which at current rates is equivalent to US$1,989 but the very first US shop I looked at has them for US$879  !!

You may want to check Canada as well for prices. Supplier #32 has that machine as a package for $899 Canadian dollars. Cpapoutlet (posting a link is against forum rules here) has the package including a mask for $845 CDN, and the machine with carrying case, slimline hose, and basics other than the mask for $810 CDN. Not sure if there is any less hassle importing from Canada compared to the USA. I recall our Prime Minister ticked off your Prime Minister a while back over trade (stood him up at a meeting). But then again we are apparently buying your antique rusted out F-18 Hornet fighter jets...

SORRY FOR THE DUPLICATE. I THINK MY MOUSE IF FRIZZED AND DOUBLE CLICKS.

I was curious what Ron's AKA was... must be "Double-Click" eh?

If it is rusty, it ain't a Hornet. OTOH, if it's corroded, it's likely because they are being flown upwards of 19,000 hours. "We had not planned on operating the Hornet past 6,000 hours," according to Navy Rear Adm. Michael Manazir, the service's director of air warfare.

Nevertheless, You could save a chunk of change even if you have to pay some hefty duty when you receive Canoodian trade goods. +2500AUD is outrageous -- and ResMed war born in Oz!
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Bernie. I've imported a few masks and things but not a complete machine - at the time my ASV cost the same in Oz as it did in the US.

There's no GST or import duty applicable to CPAP machines, which are exempt as medical devices. You will likely be hit with a Customs handling charge of $55 and maybe a few dollars for sundries. When you buy a machine it's worth paying for fully insured postage but you will still come out well ahead.

Resmed try to justify the outrageous prices they charge in Australia but none of it holds water as far as I'm concerned. That's probably why there are so many Chinese machines finding their way onto the market now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also try haggling the price down with the local suppliers here in Oz..

I got decent discounts that knocked several hundred of the RRP of my Dreamstation, BOC in Westmead NSW is where I got mine. 

CPAP Victoria have also been good on prices of accessories for me as well ( bought a new mask and hose while down there over Christmas, also bought stuff off them when down there the previous year as well.. might as well make use of my trips to visit the rellies by getting well priced extras whilst there  Bigwink )
Post Reply Post Reply
Amazon Canada had recently listed a Canadian dealer who had priced a new Airsense 10 Autoset for just under CAD $700. Express shipping within Canada was like another $11 or $22. However, they required a prescription which I didn't have on hand. Sad

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
I second BOC sleepcare at Westmead. That's where I did my titration. Very good service and care. However, I ended up buying from a local online dealer. From memory, the Resmed kit was $1800 with bag, humidifier, mask etc. BOC are around 200$ more expensive, I didnt go with them to save the 200$ but in hindsight, will go with them next time as I think they are worth it as they have trained personnel and good service. I am a newbie to CPAP therapy but I think the local service is worth it as I had to return my dreamstation for checking as it was noisy and they arranged for it to be sent back and got a replacement machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've bought 2 Cpap machines from Supplier #2, both "gently used", the 1st 3 1/2 years ago a Resmed S9 Autoset [550 hours use] and then a year ago a Respironics REMstar Auto AFLEX with Heated humidifier [120 hours use] as a back up. The Resmed is still going great so I haven't needed to use the Respironics machine as yet. Personally I can't speak highly enough of Supplier #2's sales and service. Their therapist Mark Seager always get back to you promptly via email with any inquiries and questions you may have re the machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi Bernie
Australian Supplier #22 advertise AirSense 10 AutoSet for $1699, check with them if heated tubing is included in the price
If you've private insurance with the extras, you can claim for the rebate, depend on the insurance, can vary between $500 - $1000

There is no GST on medical equipment import, might be some small tax for purchases over $1000 
As mentioned above suppliers #2 and # 10 ship to Australia
The overseas warranty is not valid in Australia, machines have to be shipped back for any warranty issues and no insurance rebate can be claimed on overseas purchases 
I've never had a problem with my machines, but things can wrong from time to time
I buy all what I need, masks, cushions, chinstraps, etc from Supplier #10 and never had any problems and delivered promptly
Best of luck
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Zonk! Welcome back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 669 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Importing Wellue Data Efficiently on Windows spudhorse 5 489 12-19-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,581 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Equipment] Any experiences with Ventmed VM8 or other Ventmed devices? Bhante 2 542 08-13-2023, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Bhante
  [Treatment] MBRP experiences? JonathanG 0 390 06-16-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: JonathanG
  Importing data from Contec CMS50c to Oscar Crickets 3 589 05-19-2023, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Experiences with Cheyne Stokes? Jacklinn 4 866 12-26-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.