Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto CPAP machines
RE: Auto CPAP machines
(08-29-2013, 04:08 PM)RonWessels Wrote: The two main (modern) units you will see here are the ResMed S9 AutoSet and the Philips Respironics System One 60 Series REMstar Auto. [ I have the latter. ] Both are perfectly good data-capable units. The pro's and con's for each are not particularly significant, and I'm not sure anyone here would recommend one over the other with any seriousness.

what is the pulse oximeter for? thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2013, 04:08 PM)RonWessels Wrote: The pro's and con's for each are not particularly significant, and I'm not sure anyone here would recommend one over the other with any seriousness.
Seriously my preference goes to S9 AutoSet, useful nightly sleep report (LCD), back lit screen and unintentional leak calculations
[others might prefer doing own calculations]

Post Reply Post Reply
A pulse oximeter is a device that determines the saturation of oxygen in your blood. You've probably either had one or seen one - it's the thing that clamps onto one of your fingers.

When I first started CPAP therapy, I found myself out of breath during the day. I could not understand how breathing better while sleeping could make me out of breath during the day, so I ordered myself the pulse oximeter to see if there was something that I should see the doctor about. As it turns out, by the time it arrived, the out-of-breath issue had stopped.
Post Reply Post Reply
I heartily agree. Auto PAP is the way to go. I fought for mine and it was worth it.

I was titrated at 11 CWP and originally prescribed a set CPAP at 11, but when I got my ResMed S9 Autoset home and tried the set 11 CWP for the first 4 nights I really struggled. Had terrible readings, huge leaks, and got up each morning feeling terrible. Then I broke down and got into the Clinical Menu of my machine and switched it to "Auto" and set a range of something like 6-12 and had my best night's sleep in recent memory! After a couple more nights and slight tweaks, I settled on an Auto range of 7-13 and am now getting AHIs well under 1. My best night ever was a couple of days ago when I got a .39!

The interesting thing is that, on average my pressure hovers around 7 (significantly lower than my prescription) most of the night, but has never exceeded 9 since I made the changes. And I sleep better than I have in years.

The thing is that I have yet to see the doctor for my first followup and the DME (equipment provider) hasn't interacted with me since I got the machine to see how I'm doing. So if I had kept the original settings prescribed, I'd still be struggling and feeling terrible when I get up each day.

Some of this may seem foreign to you right now, but it will be well worth your doing lots of research and going armed with good information when visiting your prescribing doctor. You may need to "stand up for your rights" to get the device you think is best for you, but it will be worth the effort in the long run.

Plan on being real pro-active in your own treatment if you want best results. Based on the odds, it's likely that your medical providers won't be taking a real active role in your ongoing titration ... unless you press the issue.

Stay connected to this forum. It's a wealth of helpful information for the "newbie." Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure if someone mentioned this, but even if you get an Auto-CPAP (APAP), and decide later that you really needed standard CPAP, you'll be please to know that most modern Auto-CPAPs can be set to operate in CPAP mode (single fixed pressure all night).

So, with an APAP, you get an APAP plus a CPAP all in one unit.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
For example, if your auto-set cpap machine is set at 12-20 and 12 is to high at some point during sleep, will the machine take it down below 12 to see how that works? Just curious.
Post Reply Post Reply
No in that case 12 is the minimum and it never goes below that. The machine only operates within the range that you (or your doctor/DME) set.
Post Reply Post Reply
But after looking at the data for about 10 days or more, you could determine if that range is best for you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have to agree. The Resmed S9 AutoSet is a Godsend.
It basically maintains your airway for you with the minimum programmed pressure and only adds more pressure when needed.
I sleep a lot better now for that.
Everyone is different and the S9 addresses that issue by compensating for changing situations on the fly.
Not the cheapest machine or the most expensive but it does work well and that makes it worth every penny.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2013, 08:28 PM)SleepEZ Wrote: ...Then I broke down and got into the Clinical Menu of my machine and switched it to "Auto" and set a range of something like 6-12 and had my best night's sleep in recent memory! After a couple more nights and slight tweaks, I settled on an Auto range of 7-13 and am now getting AHIs well under 1. My best night ever was a couple of days ago when I got a .39!
Stay connected to this forum. It's a wealth of helpful information for the "newbie." Smile

.39 is so encouraging to me... And me myself being a 'newbie' in all this definitely agrees with this forum being incredibly incredibly helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 675 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 499 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 596 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,160 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.