Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto CPAP makes a big difference?
Auto CPAP makes a big difference?
I saw in google search result of "1st night on Auto CPAP after
15 years on a manual CPAP" but before I could click on the
link, my browser crashed.

Does the auto-pressure CPAP really give much better
benefits than a fixed-pressure one?  Anyone care to
share your experiences?

Currently amazon is selling the Apex XT (fixed pressure)
for about US$90 more than the Apex Auto XT: wonder
if it's worth that extra $90
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto CPAP makes a big difference?
For most, auto machines provide a significant improvement in therapy. That was the case for me. When I was on constant pressure my AHI was seldom much below 5 and often between 5 and 15. Since switching to auto it's consistently under 1. We are all different and may not see results as good as mine. Among forum members the Resmed airsesne 10 autoset is regarded as the best. If your apneas are predominantly cental, however, a fixed pressure mat be best. The advantage to the auto machine is that it can be set in either mode. I suggest you read this http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices before buying.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You can get an Resmed Airsense 10 autoset for $655 from Sistema, Supplier #33 on the forum supplier list http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

I realize it's $255 more than the Apex but over the 5 year life of the machine, that's only $4.25/month. I like to save on purchases as much as anyone but this is an area where I would not skimp.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2019, 08:40 AM)SunHu Wrote: I saw in google search result of "1st night on Auto CPAP after
15 years on a manual CPAP" but before I could click on the
link, my browser crashed.

Does the auto-pressure CPAP really give much better
share your experiences?

Whether or not you need an Auto CPAP or a fixed pressure CPAP  depends on a lot of factors (such as severity of OSA etc.) that are usually diagnosed after a sleep study results.

EDIT: As far as benefits of an Auto PAP machine, here's a good discussion of it: Benefits of an Automatic CPAP Machine 

However, if you are really bent on getting an APEX, one thing that you should take note is that there are three Apex fixed pressure CPAP machines, the XT Fit, XT Prime and XT Sense. Do take note that the  XT Fit does not have an SD card that stores your data while the APEX XT Prime and X Sense does.  

Attached is a comparison of the Apex XT Machines.

I hope this helps!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Repaying my sleep debt, 1 night at a time...
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2019, 08:40 AM)SunHu Wrote: the auto-pressure CPAP really give much better
share your experiences?

It's up to you. I think most people here would agree that you should get a good auto setting PAP machine - most people in the forums prefer the Airsense 10 Autoset (read the links supplied by people above for more information).

Obstructive sleep apnea isn't a constant, so neither are your pressure needs to treat it. It varies from night to night, and minute to minute. An APAP gives you just the pressure you need to treat your apnea, which is important because higher pressure than you need can have side effects. Higher pressure makes it harder to get a good seal on your mask. It can lead to "mouth breathing" if you are using a nasal mask. It can cause bloating and acid reflux. So you generally don't want to use more pressure than you need at any given time.

However, a bad autosetting machine won't necessarily be a good experience as it may not bring up the pressure levels when you need, or reduce them when you don't. The algorithm the machine uses is critical. Another reason why people prefer the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset.

Plus, you can use a auto adjusting PAP as a fixed pressure machine if you want, but you can't use a fixed pressure machine as an auto. Given that buying a machine is such a big investment, and an an inconvenience where you live, having the option of auto setting machine is a good idea.

Now, as to the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. Read the links. It seems like you are going to be doing a lot of your own treatment decisions, so having a machine that will work with the free OSCAR software to help you adjust your machine will be useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a few individuals that are sensitive to pressure changes from auto CPAP that seem to get more restful, comfortable sleep from a properly titrated CPAP at a single pressure. Auto CPAP allows the user to use lower average pressures while getting good therapy results when needed, as needed. A more important consideration is that the device have detailed therapy data that allows the user to monitor effectiveness and make adjustments if needed. It takes a bit more skill to properly set a single-pressure CPAP, but the data makes all the difference.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Much appreciated the inputs: with so many consensus, I'm sure
"Resmed Airsense" is among the best model.

Btw, does this "Resmed Airsense" support UK 220-240Volt or
only US voltage?

>work with the free OSCAR software to help you adjust your machine will be useful.
However, my spouse has concern that without local support in
my country (Singapore), we'll have a hard time generating the
report, tuning/calibrating it. I've asked 3 local dealers here &
they either carry Apex or HoffRichter (this German brand is
used widely in local hospitals here but rather bulky).

Ok, we have consensus that Auto is better than non-Auto;
next question is in what way the Resmed auto better than
Apex auto?

I have not purchased but for the last 5 days I'm on a loan
set of Apex Auto, though there's slight interruption, it's
mostly from the uncomfortable Philips nasal mask (the
model that covers entire nostrils & upper lip, not the
model with 2 little tubes that go into the nostrils)

The 'slight interruption' refers to interruption to my sleep
& it's due to the mask pressing too hard onto my upper
lip/cheek area or 'itch' from the contact area between the
mask & my skin.

Btw, I live in tropical humid weather, so probably I do
fine without a humidifier
Post Reply Post Reply
”The 'slight interruption' refers to interruption to my sleep
& it's due to the mask pressing too hard onto my upper
lip/cheek area or 'itch' from the contact area between the
mask & my skin.”

SunHu,
The mask alone is just as serious a decision as what machine you buy.  An ill fitting mask can and will interrupt your sleep.  There are products you can buy like Mask Liners that fit between the mask and your skin that may help with some irritation, but a mask should not press hard on your lip/cheek area.

I can’t advise what brand machine to buy, but I would definitely buy an Auto Cpap.
You can use an Auto Cpap in either Auto mode or Cpap mode.  
Don’t settle for less.  You may down the road need that Auto feature.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2019, 12:26 AM)SunHu Wrote: However, my spouse has concern that without local support in
my country (Singapore), we'll have a hard time generating the
report, tuning/calibrating it.  I've asked 3 local dealers here &
they either carry Apex or HoffRichter (this German brand is
used widely in local hospitals here but rather bulky).

Ok, we have consensus that Auto is better than non-Auto;
next question is in what way the Resmed auto better than
Apex auto?

This boards primary goal is to empower people to setup their machines themselves. You will receive setting suggestions based on your sleep data from the machine. We have very experienced people with Resmed's and Philips devices. If you chose to get either of them, we will help you set it up correctly, you won't need any local support for that. Reports you can generated with OSCAR software.

As for Apex, I never heard of it and I don't know if it provides proper data to analyse.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2019, 11:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: There are a few individuals that are sensitive to pressure changes from auto CPAP that seem to get more restful, comfortable sleep from a properly titrated CPAP at a single pressure.  Auto CPAP allows the user to use lower average pressures while getting good therapy results when needed, as needed.  A more important consideration is that the device have detailed therapy data that allows the user to monitor effectiveness and make adjustments if needed.  It takes a bit more skill to properly set a single-pressure CPAP, but the data makes all the difference.

I think I am one of those people.  About a year or so into my adventure with CPAP, I set my auto machine to the same min and max pressure and seemed to sleep better.  Maybe some day I will set it back to auto and see how I sleep.  But for now I sleep OK and don't mind the pressure.

That said, I think it is worth the money for an auto machine.  You can make it work like a straight CPAP but not the other way around.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,233 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 9 1,056 02-20-2024, 09:27 PM
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 403 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 595 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Full face mask makes mouth breathing possible? BonkerHonker 1 539 11-22-2023, 07:11 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.