Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto CPAP sensor rises to the highest range immediately. How to fix? What's broken?
Auto CPAP sensor rises to the highest range immediately. How to fix? What's broken?
Hi Everyone,
Lately the auto CPAP feature in my CPAP machine seems to rise to the highest setting right away even if I'm lying down and not even asleep yet. It didn't do that before. So if I set it for minimum of 5 and max of 10, it will rise to 10 right away after it's on. It's as if the sensor is broken. It didn't do that before. This started happening after I washed the hose and dried it off. The hose was completely dry when I re-attached it so I don't think any water got in. 

Do you think the problem is that the sensor is broken or the hose somehow causes it to malfunction? I checked the hose and it seems fine, there is nothing inside to obstruct the air flow and the hose looks strong and sturdy with no leakage. I also notice that if I sit up the sensor seems to work better and goes back down to the lowest setting of 5 gradually. But when I lie down even while awake it immediately goes to the highest setting it can. So I'm not sure if the hose is causing that or what. It's strange.

Have any of you experienced this before? Could it be the filter? The filter cap is stuck on tight and I cannot remove it by hand. But I doubt that that's what's causing the APAP sensor to malfunction.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto CPAP sensor rises to the highest range immediately. How to fix? What's broken?
That can happen if you turn ramp off and/or you have events when you start.

I'm not going to guess what is going on but if you post your OSCAR charts I may be able to outright state what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto CPAP sensor rises to the highest range immediately. How to fix? What's broken?
(10-31-2021, 06:00 PM)Gideon Wrote: That can happen if you turn ramp off and/or you have events when you start.

I'm not going to guess what is going on but if you post your OSCAR charts I may be able to outright state what is going on.

I am using a Z2 Auto CPAP, travel sized, and it is not compatible with OSCAR unfortunately. 

What do you mean events? I thought the ramp is optional? I didn't enable it before and thought it was unnecessary. 

Is there a way to reset the machine to its factory state? Or reinstall the OEM firmware? I attached it to my PC but it does not open like a flash drive.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is why it is so important to me to have a machine that is fully data capable .
I was guessing you had the ramp on and accidently turns it of and had a form of positional apnea that can't be managed with pressure. Did you change your pillow arrangement?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2021, 06:14 PM)Gideon Wrote: That is why it is so important to me to have a machine that is fully data capable .
I was guessing you had the ramp on and accidently turns it of and had a form of positional apnea that can't be managed with pressure.  Did you change your pillow arrangement?

No my pillow remained the same. The only thing is that I just washed the hose. Should I turn on the ramp just to see? I'll try that next time and see if that helps. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try a soft cervical collar. Mind you everything is a guess
Post Reply Post Reply
Can't say I'm at all familiar with the Z2, but I'm wondering if something went wrong when you reattached the hose after cleaning it, and I wonder if its leaking. (edit: I mean the connection between the machine and the hose rather than the hose itself) Have you tried unplugging the hose from the machine and re-seating it? (and perhaps give the outlet port seal on the machine a bit of a wipe with a soft lint-free cloth before reattaching the hose)

Just a thought.

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2021, 09:05 AM)Neelix Wrote: Can't say I'm at all familiar with the Z2,  but I'm wondering if something went wrong when you reattached the hose after cleaning it, and I wonder if its leaking.  (edit: I mean the connection between the machine and the hose rather than the hose itself) Have you tried unplugging the hose from the machine and re-seating it?   (and perhaps give the outlet port seal on the machine a bit of a wipe with a soft lint-free cloth before reattaching the hose)

Just a thought.

-Neelix

Yes I unplugged it and replugged it in several times. It seems strong and sturdy. Very strange. Has this ever happened to any of you?
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the mask elbow venting properly ? Maybe the machine is incorrectly thinking you are in an apnea ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2021, 08:14 PM)DaveCar Wrote: Is the mask elbow venting properly ? Maybe the machine is incorrectly thinking you are in an apnea ?

What's the mask elbow? Do you mean the hole in the mask that releases air? Should there be such an exhaust hole? I thought it was airtight without any leakage between the nose piece and the CPAP machine?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,430 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What should my pressure range be? tomkelly 4 422 01-09-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  FYI: A11 has an acoustic diagnostic sensor Gideon 5 2,851 10-15-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  [Diagnosis] AHI scores - what sort of range do people have? p123 4 505 10-14-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jstro84
  Dreamstation LCD Backlight Broken FatSleeper15 0 335 09-19-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: FatSleeper15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.