Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
RE: Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
They said it would involve another sleep study for a Bipap if I needed that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel alert and energetic in the morning then, after working out, playing racket ball, I am exhausted. Is there such a thing as awake apnea? I know it sounds rather odd , but sometimes when I start to doze or sit calmly reading a book, I suddenly gasp. Then I am OK. I do this every time I sit or lay quietly. I can't feel it coming either.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lindy, when you say you feel alert and energetic in the morning, is that more than before you started CPAP? CPAP can take some people months to get used to it and start to feel the real effects. On the awake apnea, I think most people, it happens to me and maybe more likely with people with SA, we are in a relax state and probably dosing off and our throats collaspe or tongues fall back and cover our throats for a few seconds and jolt us awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope the cpap at the we settings work out fine. I have to relax and go with it to make it work. Is it difficult to exhale at the higher pressures? Getting the new settings tomorrow...by motum...that's how mine us changed.
Oh yes I feel better in the morning after the cpap has been prescribed. I have had it for 2 months.
Post Reply Post Reply
With an auto machine, it should only kick in when it detects an apnea and raises to the pressure you need then after a few minutes lowers again so you shouldn't be on a high pressure too long unless you really need it to keep your throat open. I think you have your machine type on here incorrect, if it's a Resmed it will be probably be an Autoset, if its a Phillips it will be a System one. On both machines you can increase of decrease your EPR which makes it easier for you when you exhale. Ask about it when they are doing your settings, if it's a Phillips it is called A Flex. Do you know what your AHI was at your first sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm looking at my machine now. It's called, Philips respronics remstar auto a flex with System one. It has a system one humidifier.. My AHI number was 14 with the settings of 6 to 12. That's why I had another sleep study last week and now tomorrow they are supposed yo fax the order to who changes my settings by motum. Hope this info helps to answer your question.
Post Reply Post Reply
They told me my AHI was too high so that they had checked for leaks but it was a good fit. I like the nasal pillows and was not wanting to change masks anyway as this was already fine with me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lindy, you may just want to update your profile on here. Assuming your AHI is 14 which is borderline mild / moderate sleep apnea, a high of 20 seems very high and I would have thought it should be the 4 to 12 mark but that is your Dr's call. If your not hitting that 20 mark 95% of the time there is not much use having it set so high, it will be interesting to see what pressures they come back with, keep us updated and good luck.

(07-21-2013, 09:24 PM)Lindy Wrote: I'm looking at my machine now. It's called, Philips respronics remstar auto a flex with System one. It has a system one humidifier.. My AHI number was 14 with the settings of 6 to 12. That's why I had another sleep study last week and now tomorrow they are supposed yo fax the order to who changes my settings by motum. Hope this info helps to answer your question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh OK thanks. The AHI of 14 was with the settings of 6-12 . When I first had the sleep study it was that I stopped breathing 45 times an hour .
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2013, 08:30 AM)Lindy Wrote: Oh OK thanks. The AHI of 14 was with the settings of 6-12 . When I first had the sleep study it was that I stopped breathing 45 times an hour .

If your AHI as 45 during your sleep study (severe sleep apnea) then I suspect that a range of 6 - 12 is not high enough. That is consistent with the AHI of 14 that you got at that setting.

I would suggest trying a higher setting. But always make only one change at a time and leave it at the new setting for a couple of weeks. Every night is different and you need to see a trend. It's also useful to look at the 95% pressure in your data. If the machine is above a certain pressure 95% of the time, then a centimeter or two below this number is a good starting point for the lower number.

During my sleep study over a year ago my AHI was 43 on my side and 62 on my back. My sleep doc prescribed a setting of 5 - 15. I increased the pressure every couple of weeks or so and now I am at 14 - 19. That is pretty optimal for me. But we're all different and you need to find your own personal optimum pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 218 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 306 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 259 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 500 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 305 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 293 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 993 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.