Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
RE: Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
OK thanks for the info. I just follow what the Dr. has told me. The company that brought the cpap to my house does all the changes by motum. I don't make any changes by myself. So rather innovative. Thank for you insight and comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know what my AHI number should be?

I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. The Dr said Sleep apnea might be a cause because all my tests and scans were negative. I don't have high blood pressure . I am not in atrial fib anymore .Thank God. Learned that over a period of time, sleep apnea can cause irregular heart beats.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2013, 08:20 PM)Lindy Wrote: Do you know what my AHI number should be?

You want it as low as possible, but definitely below 5. Doctors figure 5 or less is not severe enough to bother treating, so 5 is the standard that everyone uses. From 5 to 15 is considered mild sleep apnea, from 16 to 30 is moderate, and above 30 is severe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ideal AHI is as close to zero as possible, if not zero. Treatment is considered effective if AHI is below 5.

How long have you been on treatment? You said you're no longer having irregular heartbeats. That's great! Do you attribute that to CPAP?

Post Reply Post Reply
I am on the lowest dose of Lopressor for heart rate control and half the normal dose of multaq a day and cpap. I have been in sinus rhythm for months before the cpap.

...but cpap helps apnea which apnea can be a cause of atrial fibrillation. When I think about how I sleep, I think of how I dreaded sleeping knowing I would be waking up so many times. Now, I sleep better about 5 hours straight .
Post Reply Post Reply
Slept 2 nights with the new pressure changes. When I woke up I felt great except I had a pressure feeling in my ears. Is that expected during the adjustment time?
Post Reply Post Reply
Depending on the actual pressure you reached, yeah that would not be unexpected. Other things that might happen are that the higher pressure forces some air down your throat and into your digestive system causing a bloated feeling. This is known as aerophagia. You're also going to have a tougher time keeping leaks under control with the higher pressures, but you've probably found that out already.

Typically all of these things pass as you get more used to the treatment.

One other thing to watch for is that, with the higher pressure, the air flow rate will also be faster, so your humidifier water level will tend to drop further and faster at the same humidification settings than it did at the lower pressures.

The good news is that the new pressures seem to be working. You feel (for the most part) great in the morning. Congrats
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice. I have been using the ramp and hopefully close to sleeping by the time it's reached a certain pressure. I try to relax about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I woke up and my nose was so dry and peeling. It is so sore. I think it's too much pressure. I checked the cpap machine number on top and it said 18cmh20. What is good to heel my nose knowing I have to use this every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a common reaction to nasal pillows. Apparently, coating your nostrils with lanolin using a q-tip will help with the irritation. There are others on this forum that successfully use nasal pillows at "high" pressure settings (> 10). Personally, I got used to my nasal mask before I got used to the nasal pillows I had on trial, so I'm sticking with my nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 226 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 449 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 936 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 473 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.