Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
RE: Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
I'm not recommending that you don't do it. I'm simply pointing out the issues and recommending that you only do it if you really feel you need to. NOTHING is more important than keeping you going on your CPAP treatment. So if you feel you absolutely must ...
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks..I think I have to try something. Living on about 3 hours of sleep is not a good thing. I don't know why I wake up so early. So frustrating. I think I've been asleep for a long time and... well...no.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lindy,

Congratulations for persevering. That's what is most important - to never give up.

I recommend that you download and use SleepyHead software look at your data. You may be able to see what is waking you up.

You will be able to see how many central apneas you are having. Zooming in on the Flow plot will show now long the apneas are lasting. "Flow" is the rate of airflow we are actually breathing, with positive Flow referring to air entering our airway, and negative Flow referring to air exiting our airway. (By intention, the plotted "Flow" does not include leaks, only air actually breathed.)

Don't be apprehensive about maybe needing a bi-level machine. They are easy to get used to, and many prefer them because often they are much easier to breath with, because the pressure can be much higher during inhalation to help us breathe in.

What amount of A-Flex are you using? Using A-Flex will help make exhalation a little easier (reducing pressure as much as 3 cm H2O pressure during the first quarter or third of the time spent exhaling) but using a standard bi-level machine can make inhaling a whole lot easier (increasing as much as 10 cm H2O) for the entire time spent inhaling.

Unlike Respironics A-Flex, ResMed EPR is like standard bi-level and reduces the exhale pressure during the entire time we are exhaling, not just during the first second or less of time spent exhaling.

By the way, though, the standard bi-level machines discussed above usually cannot treat centrals. For mixed obstructive plus central apneas, there is a premium class of bi-level machine called an ASV (adaptive servo ventilator) bi-level machine. The ASV machines can be harder to get used to but a few people (like me) need them.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your advice. I have a tiny computer card that I remove then take to the Dr. and they download the info. Is that what you mean? I also have a motum on it too. I know that's how the company made the change of pressure on the cpap. They notified me first. Sometimes when I exhale it bothers me. If I relax awhile, I can handle it. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2013, 06:12 PM)Lindy Wrote: Thanks for your advice. I have a tiny computer card that I remove then take to the Dr. and they download the info. Is that what you mean? I also have a motum on it too. I know that's how the company made the change of pressure on the cpap. They notified me first. Sometimes when I exhale it bothers me. If I relax awhile, I can handle it. Thanks.

Hi Lindy,

Yes, that little SD card can be read by your computer if you have a standard "card reader" slot in your computer, or if you buy (for $10 or so from any electronics or department store) any external card reader which has a USB cable to connect to your computer.

After you download and install the free SleepyHead software your computer will be able to read and display the data on the SD card. (Instructions on how to download and install SH are given elsewhere on Apnea Board.)

By the way, the wireless attachment on your machine is called a "modem", which is short for modulator-demodulator, which means it allows 2-way communication (reporting and control) to/by your Dr or DME.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
In a couple weeks, I find out if I need to change to a bipap. I am going to try Zzzquil tonight to see if I can at least sleep 6 hours. I fall asleep quickly. I took a relaxing bath and that works to sleep but last night I got 3 hours of sleep and don't know why I wake up. I just lay there and keep the cpap. I have to full fill a certain amt of hours for the insurance company coverage.
Post Reply Post Reply
I slept a solid 5 hours last night. That is the best so far. I feel better and probably will take a nap later if I have time. When I woke up..I looked at my setting and it said 18 .2 . I don't even feel the air only if I try to talk. The machine is so quite.My nose is so dry but I use A and D ointment and it goes away.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 06:14 AM)Lindy Wrote: I slept a solid 5 hours last night. That is the best so far. I feel better and probably will take a nap later if I have time. When I woke up..I looked at my setting and it said 18 .2 . I don't even feel the air only if I try to talk. The machine is so quite.My nose is so dry but I use A and D ointment and it goes away.

Hi Lindy,

Congratulations on the great progress. Do you use a little ointment preventatively at bedtime, as well as when you wake up? Does the Vit A and D ointment work better for you than the HPA Lanolin cream?

I recommend for you to see if you can install and use SleepyHead. Using the software, you would gradually gain a fuller recognition of exactly how your sleep quality is varying week to week, which would help you improve it.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
Post Reply Post Reply
Went for my Dr. appoint. today. He is happy with my improvement. AHI is 8 . I had a sleep study called a. Pap nap. It was 3 hours . He said the tech went from a cpap to bipap when I slept. I guess I have the mixed kind of apnea. Sometimes I just don't breath. Not much snoring at all. Waiting 3 more months to stay on cpap then recheck and may have a type called servo or bipap. That's my update. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been taking Zzzquil and it works for me. I have been sleeping about 5 hours a night instead of 3 and then waking up a lot. I actually look forward to getting better nights rest. Is it not good to wear your cpap when staying awake ..for instance when reading or studying a couple hours?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 223 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 259 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 932 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 402 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 471 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.