Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
RE: Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
Hi Lindy,
Usually, it is recommended that if you are having trouble getting used to your mask and machine, to use it while watching tv or reading during the evening so that your body gets used to the machine before you go to sleep. If that helps you 'til you really get used to it, I don't see a problem with that but hang in there for more answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anybody yawn a lot after you take off the cpap? I yawn so much in the morning. It starts right away after I take off the cpap.Is that usual?
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone heard that sleep apnea can cause afib? That's what I have Newly diagnosed about 8 months ago. My heart rate was 180 and irregular. The Dr. thought maybe sleep apnea. It's amazing now no symptoms of that since the cpap. I have no history of high blood pressure or high cholesterol. I guess sleep apnea manifests itself during the day with symptoms. I pray thanks that someone invented the cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2013, 09:22 PM)Lindy Wrote: Has anyone heard that sleep apnea can cause afib? That's what I have Newly diagnosed about 8 months ago. My heart rate was 180 and irregular. The Dr. thought maybe sleep apnea. It's amazing now no symptoms of that since the cpap.

Hi Lindy,

Yes, one of the two symptoms I had (which made me go to the doctor to find out what was wrong with me) is every few days I was waking up in the middle of the night with my heart racing and irregular, perhaps 200 beats per minute or higher. In a few minutes my pulse would gradually become less fast and then would suddenly drop by about half, which I suppose was when the atrial fibrillation stopped. With CPAP treatment, all that stopped happening. (The other symptom was, I would occasionally wake up gasping for breath.)

I have read that developing a fib is not uncommon for people with sleep apnea, which is probably why your doctor suspected you might have sleep apnea which gave rise to the afib.

My ex-spouse had unrecognized Obstructive Sleep Apnea her whole life until she discovered she had it and started getting treatment around age 50. She had also developed afib which had gradually gotten worse until it was happening spontaneously and was sometimes lasting for days at a time. She eventually had two dangerous heart operations (cardiac ablations, about $75,000 each) which stopped the afib which had (probably) developed because of OSA.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I have heard of ablation where the triggers are on the pulmonary artery. I take lopressor 25mg and only one Multag instead of 2 a day. No problems since. Thank God! It scared me. No pain but it was off and on line that for days until it was constant. Thanks for listening to my scarey experience. All my other tests turned out fine. Cardiac echo..CT of the chest and lab work.and stress test.
Post Reply Post Reply
Should I think of changing from nasal pillows to a nasal mask after a few months. because all the pressure every night might not be a good thing on your sinuses. I can feel a fullness in my nose an sinuses from the pressure. My nostrils actually ache.
Post Reply Post Reply
.....also, does anyone have issues with ears feel full or pop like you were swimming?
Post Reply Post Reply
Switching from nasal pillows to a nasal mask will not change the pressure in your sinuses. The sinuses are part of the pressurized airway system, and will be subjected to the same pressure regardless of the mechanism of the seal between your mask and your face.

Nasal pillows seal against your nostrils, which can cause your nostrils to become sore. Apparently it is something that goes away with time. Personally, when I tried nasal pillows and got sore nostrils, I didn't bother trying to acclimate, but rather switched back to the nasal mask which I was already pretty much completely used to.

Edit: And yes, I also get ear popping. It's perfectly natural, the same way they pop in an airplane. It is because there is a difference between the "internal pressure" (artificially increased from the CPAP pressure) and the external pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh ok..got it. What is actually considered a high range of cpap pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
What is considered a long piece of string?

It also depends on the context in which you are asking. When I have "normal" pressures of 11-15, I have no problems at all with mask leaks. When I have "high" pressures of 15-19, mask leaks become more of an issue and I have to really tighten down the mask straps.

With regards to overall treatment pressures, I think of pressures above 10 cmH2O as "high".

With regards to "high" pressures causing central apneas, I really don't have any good idea.

If you ask 10 people, you will get 12 different answers.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 223 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 320 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 261 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 507 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 309 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 295 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 1,001 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.