Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
RE: Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
OK, yes sorry to ask a vague question..but thanks for the explanation. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
As well you should apologize, since we really dislike people asking questions and not simply following instructions blindly.

[ Dammit, could I have sarcasm cleanup in aisle three please? ]
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2013, 12:04 AM)RonWessels Wrote: As well you should apologize, since we really dislike people asking questions and not simply following instructions blindly.

[ Dammit, could I have sarcasm cleanup in aisle three please? ]

Hi Lindy,

Ron is right. You never need apologize for a question. All questions are welcome!

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awe..sweet...thanx!
Post Reply Post Reply
To switch to a nasal mask from nasal pillows, do I have to do another sleep study? Hardly slept last night. I think the pressure is too high and irritates my sinuses. I wake up not tired but in a couple hours I am feeling like a nap. I think I think about it and just don't get comfortable..
Post Reply Post Reply
No. The mask is simply the mechanism by which the treatment pressure is applied to the airway. It is the treatment pressure that is determined by a sleep study (actually a titration). The choice of mask is strictly a comfort / fit issue.

For reasons that I cannot even begin to comprehend, buying a complete mask (ie. not just replacement parts) requires a prescription. Fortunately, your original prescription for the CPAP unit should suffice.
Post Reply Post Reply
No! You just need to find a mask you like. Depending on how deep your pockets are or your insurance company, you should be able to go to your local DME and request any mask to try. You can also order one from the Supplier's List but the site will need an copy of your `script. Supplier #1 will obtain the script directly from your doctor in order to speed up the process.

"Deep pockets" help if you plan on trying several types of masks over an extended period of time. Until I went on Medicare, I paid for almost all my own mask and supplies because it was a lot less hassle and expense than having to deal with the insurance company hoops.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Dr. wants me to do another whole sleep study for a bipap next week. I am not willing to do it because I am thinking that I will become dependent on it to breathe. If I am ever without it I would not breathe on my own. Now I have cpap and at least. I am much better than before. My Dr. said he is picky to get my AHI less than 5 but 8 is not that off. What are your thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2013, 10:08 PM)Lindy Wrote: My Dr. wants me to do another whole sleep study for a bipap next week. I am not willing to do it because I am thinking that I will become dependent on it to breathe. If I am ever without it I would not breathe on my own. Now I have cpap and at least. I am much better than before. My Dr. said he is picky to get my AHI less than 5 but 8 is not that off. What are your thoughts?

Hi Lindy,

It is not that we will become dependent on a BiPAP type machine. If we don't have it one night (power failure or whatever) we can still sleep like before, without the machine, but if our PAP treatment has been working well our general health will be so much improved that we will likely do better that night during a power failure than if we had not been receiving optimized BiPAP treatment before the power failure.

Go for the BiPAP titration and ask for an Auto BiPAP machine with heated hose. It is important for your general health to optimize your PAP therapy, to achieve restful sleep and stop stressing your heart and whole body so much.

Any Auto BiPAP machine can be adjusted to work like a straight CPAP or a standard AutoPAP machine. Having an Auto BiPAP machine gives you many treatment options.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I"ll be starting on auto bipap next week. My sleep study was only 3 hours this time. My card read that my ahi was 9 with my coal settings of 12 to 20. The Dr. said my average setting was 18.2. I actually feel fine on my present cpap. I wake up a lot but go to sleep fast and wake up fine. He said a ahi should be a lower number.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 226 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 449 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 936 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 473 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.