Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
RE: Auto-CPAP settings - bad?
Hi Lindy,

Ideally the Docs like to see an AHI value less than 5.

An average pressure of 18.2 is fairly high, from what I have gleaned from the board... I'm glad you're giving BiPAP a shot. My regular S9 Autoset only goes up to a pressure of 20, so if you have a similar machine (I believe the System One is similar...others can correct me if I am wrong) and are running close to the high end on pressure anyway, there's not much left to help for "bigger" apnea events. The BiPAPs have a wider pressure range and should be able to help out a bit more.

If you take to the BiPAP as well as you have the CPAP, you'll probably drop the AHI value a bit more and feel even better after a really good night's sleep. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know if I can still wear the nasal pillows with the bipap? I thought so since that's how they did the sleep study. They said they started out as a cpap and changed it to bipap while I was sleeping. I didn't feel it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2013, 11:11 PM)Lindy Wrote: Do you know if I can still wear the nasal pillows with the bipap? I thought so since that's how they did the sleep study. They said they started out as a cpap and changed it to bipap while I was sleeping. I didn't feel it.

That will depend on you and te pillows you use. A number of folks have issues keeping pillows and nasal masks sealed well with high pressures, but it seems to work well for others.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it bad yo use the cpap when you have a cold? Won't that infect the whole system? Should I do without for a few days?
Post Reply Post Reply
Lindy, you should still use it but maybe you need a full face mask if you have a cold.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lindy, I'll second what Tez said. Last thing you need is to feel lousy and not get decent sleep too. I'm currently in the process of finding "the right" full face for me thanks to a nasty little bug that decided to visit my house Sad I usually am on a nasal mask, but that doesn't work when I'm plugged up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am on new settings of bipap 18 epap and 23 ipap. I sleep well. Wake up early but go to sleep with no issues.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 227 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 937 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 475 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.