Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto CPAP vs. Auto BiPAP
Auto CPAP vs. Auto BiPAP
My sleep study recommends using pressure of 18/12 (with non-auto BiPAP) or 14 (with non-auto CPAP). I am considering purchasing a PR System One auto machine but do not know enough about auto machines to decide whether to buy an auto CPAP or an auto BiPAP. Just on the face of it, it would seem that an if an auto CPAP really adjusts to your needs, whatever your needs, this would make the auto BiPAP unnecessary. What can an auto BiPAP do that an auto CPAP cannot do?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto CPAP vs. Auto BiPAP
(06-02-2013, 02:21 PM)Apnea 1 Wrote: My sleep study recommends using pressure of 18/12 (with non-auto BiPAP) or 14 (with non-auto CPAP).

That's pretty strange. What does the doctor say?

If a CPAP pressure of 14 is high enough to prevent obstructive apneas, then I don't understand why they'd recommend a pressure of 18 with a BiPAP. Likely there's more going on here with your symptoms than simple obstructive sleep apnea.

To answer your question, a BiPAP will lower the pressure, in your case, to 12 when you stop inhaling, making it easier for you to exhale against the machine's pressure.

A BiPAP can also be placed in CPAP mode, so if you can afford the extra cost a BiPAP may be the way to go.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2013, 02:21 PM)Apnea 1 Wrote: My sleep study recommends using pressure of 18/12 (with non-auto BiPAP) or 14 (with non-auto CPAP). I am considering purchasing a PR System One auto machine but do not know enough about auto machines to decide whether to buy an auto CPAP or an auto BiPAP. Just on the face of it, it would seem that an if an auto CPAP really adjusts to your needs, whatever your needs, this would make the auto BiPAP unnecessary. What can an auto BiPAP do that an auto CPAP cannot do?

I would echo what Sleepster said. Auto-BiPAPs generally go up to 25 cmH2O of pressure, while standard auto-CPAPs and straight CPAPs go only up to 20. If your titrated pressure is actually 18, it's a good bet that eventually at some point, your pressure needs might actually go above 20, in which case a standard CPAP or Auto-CPAP would not deliver sufficient pressures.

It is confusing as to why the sleep center folks think you might be okay with standard CPAP set at 14, but they give a BiPAP inhalation pressure of 18... that's just strange, as it seems to indicate they might be willing to allow you to use CPAP with less than the optimum titrated pressure of 18. I suspect that the person recommending such a thing believes you have difficulty breathing out against a pressure higher than 12 or so, and therefore does not recommend going with a higher standard CPAP pressure of 14 with C-Flex set at 2-3, bringing your exhalation pressure down to a more tolerable 11-12. (the inhalation/exhalation pressure difference on most standard CPAPs is only 3 cmH20 using the Flex or EPR technology, meaning on those machines, you can only lower the exhalation pressure by 3, max).

In this scenario, it would look to me like auto-BiPAP would be your best bet. You get maximum flexibility on exhale pressures, higher level pressure options (up to 25 cmH2O if needed in the future) and the machine auto-adjusts to meet your needs during the night.

I'd probably recommend an auto-BiPAP for nearly all OSA patients who have higher pressure needs, as it offers the most options for treatment all around. Of course, price is usually a big factor, as they're more expensive than standard CPAP or auto-CPAP. But if you have good insurance with no huge co-pays, the auto-BiPAP is a no-brainer in my book... get one if you can... you can always use it in straight CPAP mode (non-auto mode) if need be, but have a lot more treatment options available to you in the future.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Apnea 1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What has been said so far. A BiPAP sounds like it will be the best thing for you to get if you can swing it.
Best of luck to you with your decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2013, 03:08 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-02-2013, 02:21 PM)Apnea 1 Wrote: My sleep study recommends using pressure of 18/12 (with non-auto BiPAP) or 14 (with non-auto CPAP).

That's pretty strange. What does the doctor say?

If a CPAP pressure of 14 is high enough to prevent obstructive apneas, then I don't understand why they'd recommend a pressure of 18 with a BiPAP. Likely there's more going on here with your symptoms than simple obstructive sleep apnea.

To answer your question, a BiPAP will lower the pressure, in your case, to 12 when you stop inhaling, making it easier for you to exhale against the machine's pressure.

A BiPAP can also be placed in CPAP mode, so if you can afford the extra cost a BiPAP may be the way to go.

I thought that was strange also. I asked the doctor about it and the doctor said no, it is not strange. The doctor said that, in the sleep study, they switched me to CPAP of 14 for a period of time and this proved as effective as the BiPAP pressure of 18/12. Then we went on to other things. But I still think it is strange and would like to understand it better.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2013, 05:01 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Apnea 1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What has been said so far. A BiPAP sounds like it will be the best thing for you to get if you can swing it.
Best of luck to you with your decision.

Thank you! This is a great forum! It has already done a lot, a huge lot, for me.

Right now, I am thinking of getting the auto BiPAP. Can't swing it with the people who supply my needs so I will probably buy it myself.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2013, 03:08 PM)Sleepster Wrote:

What would the auto CPAP do here? I had imagined that it would go down to whatever pressure it could go down to without producing an apnea. If it works this way, it would seem to be fine. But I really don't understand how the auto CPAP works.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I would echo what Sleepster said. Auto-BiPAPs generally go up to 25 cmH2O of pressure, while standard auto-CPAPs and straight CPAPs go only up to 20. If your titrated pressure is actually 18, it's a good bet that eventually at some point, your pressure needs might actually go above 20, in which case a standard CPAP or Auto-CPAP would not deliver sufficient pressures.

It is confusing as to why the sleep center folks think you might be okay with standard CPAP set at 14, but they give a BiPAP inhalation pressure of 18... that's just strange, as it seems to indicate they might be willing to allow you to use CPAP with less than the optimum titrated pressure of 18. I suspect that the person recommending such a thing believes you have difficulty breathing out against a pressure higher than 12 or so, and therefore does not recommend going with a higher standard CPAP pressure of 14 with C-Flex set at 2-3, bringing your exhalation pressure down to a more tolerable 11-12. (the inhalation/exhalation pressure difference on most standard CPAPs is only 3 cmH20 using the Flex or EPR technology, meaning on those machines, you can only lower the exhalation pressure by 3, max).

In this scenario, it would look to me like auto-BiPAP would be your best bet. You get maximum flexibility on exhale pressures, higher level pressure options (up to 25 cmH2O if needed in the future) and the machine auto-adjusts to meet your needs during the night.

I'd probably recommend an auto-BiPAP for nearly all OSA patients who have higher pressure needs, as it offers the most options for treatment all around. Of course, price is usually a big factor, as they're more expensive than standard CPAP or auto-CPAP. But if you have good insurance with no huge co-pays, the auto-BiPAP is a no-brainer in my book... get one if you can... you can always use it in straight CPAP mode (non-auto mode) if need be, but have a lot more treatment options available to you in the future.

Coffee

Thanks. Food for thought. I need to reread and think about your reply. I will probably get the auto BiPAP. Pay for it myself. What settings should I consider (max IPAP, min EPAP, max PS)? What flex settings should I consider?

Post Reply Post Reply
The difference between a bilevel PAP and a regular PAP is the exhale relief. Regular PAPs can only go down 3 points (or raise 3 if inhale based). Meaning if your treatment pressure (the inhale) is 14, then the exhale can be no lower than 11. Except with bilevel PAP, it can go more than 3. This is why bilevels are usually used for patients with other lung issues which makes breathing out against the flow difficult. They get their treatment pressure but their exhale can be much lower.

And, to be honest, your doctor is odd. The pressure setting of 18/12 is different than 14. If you got low AHI with a setting of 14, why on earth would he think a pressure of 18 with bilevel be the same? Maybe he confuses the term "bilevel" with "auto"? That would make more sense.

Whatever you get, you want one that is data capable so you can view the data and monitor your treatment. Most bilevels do this, which is good.

A PRS1 that is both auto and BiPAP probably then has both A-Flex and Bi-Flex. The x-Flex is their term for exhale relief. ResMed's uses the term EPR.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2013, 06:28 PM)Apnea 1 Wrote: What settings should I consider (max IPAP, min EPAP, max PS)? What flex settings should I consider?

If you go the auto-BiPAP route, go with what settings the sleep lab suggests - at least at first. Use it at those levels for at least two weeks, and use software to monitor your treatment during those two weeks. If you have low enough AHI and your comfort levels are sufficient, then just leave it at the settings they suggest. If not, then come back here and post your data in the forums and we can help you tweak the settings to provide lower AHI and more comfort (by changing IPAP, EPAP and pressure support, etc.).

Keep in mind that it's always best to keep your sleep doctor in the loop on any pressure or other settings you decide to change - you're paying for their professional advice, so it's best to at least consider their thoughts into any changes, since they know more about your personal health situation than we do here on the forums.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,333 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 203 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  CPAP to BiPAP... Korndog 22 1,184 02-19-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Korndog
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 392 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.