Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto-CPAP without titrating first?
Auto-CPAP without titrating first?
Can an Auto-CPAP titrate itself? If so, why does this forum even exist? Just let the machine get on with its job and don't interfere...

The reason I ask is that I'm mystified my recommended treatment strategy.
I had a home sleep study which showed OSA, and CPAP therapy was recommended.
I assumed the next step would be a tritration study in the sleep lab.

Instead, I am being referred to a DME who is going to loan me an Auto-CPAP machine for a week. Since the sleep study itself gives nothing for them to go on, I guessed they are going to set it at 4-20 and just let it run. This was basically confirmed to me by the DEM rep.

Is this reasonable?

1. As I said, can an Auto-CPAP titrate itself?
  2. Is a DME rep the right person to run a titration study? Seems like their expertise and interests are elsewhere
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto-CPAP without titrating first?
1)yes auto cpap will titrate itself but setting should be within the parameter as per your comfort
2)the reason this forum exist as you said your dme will provide a auto cpap with 4-20 factory setting and if that setting is uncomfortable for you or your having any other problem relating to your cpap/bpap we are here to give you solution to those problem if we can
3) tritration study is usually not needed for osa if your treating it with auto cpap but tritration study is needed for bpap to treat osa and copd
Post Reply Post Reply
Auto CPAP has varying success in auto-titration, but with knowledgeable intervention, the data produced by an auto CPAP can allow for significantly more optimized therapy than the default 4-20 pressure can produce. Auto CPAP machine vary significantly in how their algorithm responds to events. Philips auto CPAP is chronically slow to respond to indicators of an event and result in significantly higher AHI than a Resmed machine. There are some comparison studies that show how different auto CPAP models respond to events and compare the effectiveness. In addition, some machines offer exhale pressure relief (EPR) which can have direct therapeutic effect on flow limitation, helping to minimize respiratory effort related arousals (RERA) and hypopnea. The optimization of auto CPAP requires experienced, knowledgeable coaching, which is part of the reason this forum exists. The help individuals receive from doctors, respiratory therapists and equipment providers varies widely, and a very high quit-rate among CPAP users is part of the consequence of that. Many members of this forum have experience and acquired knowledge that can help identify why problems are present in therapy and to improve the efficacy and comfort of the therapy. Your question is entirely centered on an auto CPAP machine, but we also assist members with bilevel and sophisticated ventilation devices, and you should be aware that the mask interface is one of the most important variables whether therapy will succeed or fail.

In response to your questions: An auto CPAP can generally achieve an effective range of pressures to lower AHI to an acceptable level. That is not the sole indicator of effective therapy.

DME providers are either unqualified or not permitted to actually make machine settings that are not prescribed by a doctor. They often report their finding to a doctor that does the actual prescribing. These assessments are overly simplified and mostly based on AHI, and not many other respiratory, arousal and comfort variables that would indicate what we consider "successful" titration on the forum.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, think about converting your above post to a Wiki article
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, I think it makes it very clear what can and cannot be automated. Thanks a lot!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try to get this into a wiki. The real take-away is that an auto CPAP does not learn and often returns pressure to a pressure below the threshold where obstruction will be likely, or fails to fully clear obstruction. Philips bases its algorithm on mainly snores and events, while Resmed interprets flow limitation as a precursor of obstruction. Both have different problems. Some people do not present adequate snores or flow limitation ahead of an event, and some people have chronic flow limitation which results in an Autoset reaching pressures far above anything therapeutically beneficial. The algorithms have improved with Opti-Start for Philips to start pressure at the 90th percentile of the previous session, and "For Her" on Resmed which modifies pressure increases from flow limitation.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great posts, sleeprider. I too encourage a wiki. Gonna go back and read that again.
Post Reply Post Reply
BCM Resmart acpap machine
10-02-14, 10:36
Sleep study shows my acap providing low pressure
I have to have a review every year with my sleep medicine physician to maintain my buss driver authority. He was bothered by the fact that my machine was only applying 7 - 8 cm of water. He expects some one my size to be 10 - 15 cm of water. So off to the sleep lab for an over night study.
I had my study with the outcome being my pressure should be 14cm of water. The Dr suspects that the low pressure provided by my acap could be due to the algorithm or my relatively narrow nasal airways.

I made some changes to my acap and got it providing 14cm of water and more at times during the night . Then 3 days ago I changed the machine to be a cpap at 14cm H2o and I feel better, not that I was bad before.

So I guess a Auto machine is not always the best. And that you have to keep aware of what is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 590 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 860 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 407 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,341 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 598 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 583 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.