Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto SV settings and Periodic Breathing in REM
Auto SV settings and Periodic Breathing in REM
Hi. 

After weight loss, I no longer have many obstructive apneas as I did some years ago, but I do have some centrals. In particular, I seem to go into periodic breathing during REM sleep. This doesn't cause significant O2 desaturations, but I wake up feeling pretty beat up and unrested, and that's the only abnormality I can see. 

I have a tendency to hyperventilate as well during REM, with the breathing rate getting shallower and faster; I'll often wake up sweating in the middle of a dream, and the cpap data will show I had been hyperventilating for awhile. Actually, the better part of a decade ago I had to quit bilevel therapy because it would induce rapid-deep breathing and give me extreme hyperventilation, 30 deep breaths per minute.

Just lately I've acquired a bipap Auto/SV to see if it might enable me to smooth out the periodic breathing... which isn't dramatic but is very visible as a waxing/waning pattern...to see if that might allow me more IQ points in the daytime.  And clearly it did smooth out the PB flow on the first few nights I used it. And it does not drive me into hyperventilation like a regular bipap will. 

But after a few days it seems as though the algorithm is now just adding pressure support to every breath, whether there is PB or not. This makes for a very high pressure if a high max PS is set, and doesn't even out the PB.

So I am now trying PS set to Min:0 and Max:3, just to keep from getting discomfort and mask leaks from a lot of pressure support I don't need. But it isn't compensating for the PB.  Any thoughts from you periodic breathing experts out there?

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto SV settings and Periodic Breathing in REM
Hard to say, but maybe increase the PS max in increments. Your could try turning off BiFlex and using a rise time of 0. This will give you a faster onset of pressure support all the time, but it might help with periodic breathing by making the machine faster to instill IPAP. That is a comfort feature, and you can set rise time from 0 (fast) to 3 (slow). Trigger sensitivity is settable on some machines, but I'm not sure about yours. Higher trigger sensitivity decreases the amount of air needed to trigger IPAP. The default is 6 mL. With a more sensitive trigger, IPAP is started with less spontaneous volume, and this can help some people get into the IPAP faster.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto SV settings and Periodic Breathing in REM
Thanks, increasing the PS in increments is exactly what I'm trying first. My actual EPAP is fine set at auto from 4-5.5. Tonight I'll use a PS range of 0-4, up from 0-3 last nite.

I tried it with flex off the other day - and found that I'm pretty spoiled, it was some effort breathing against the pressure, and I tend to have a hard time falling asleep. I even added .5 PS as the minimum, but it still seemed hard to breathe against, which surprised me.  So the flex is back on at 3.

This is a new machine for me, but I'm not sure I can adjust rise time while keeping it on the AUTO settings. I'll see. I don't think "trigger sensitivity" is something built into this machine, it's not mentioned in the stuff I've read. 

all good logical advice, I'll play around with it... thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 27 607 1 hour ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 127 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 141 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 486 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 352 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 213 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 481 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.