Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto Start S9 Elite VS Autoset
Auto Start S9 Elite VS Autoset
Hi,

Picked up a spare S9 with an H5i humidifier.  This unit is the Elite the one I use is the Autoset.  I use a fixed pressure setting of 12.0 with a full face mask.  When programming the Elite to match the Autoset I was not able to enable the Auto Start function.  This function was grayed out and set to off.  It is a feature I use and like!  

Is there a way to update the firmware or another setting on the S9 Elite to enable the Auto Start function?

Thanks, 
dtech99
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto Start S9 Elite VS Autoset
Not sure if the S9 elite has that feature, (may be called smart start) but if it does, you should be able to turn it on in the providers menu.

Order here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try changing the mask type and see if you can enable autostart. I think the option goes away for the full face mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2017, 11:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Try changing the mask type and see if you can enable autostart.  I think the option goes away for the full face mask.

True. It is hard to autostart with that big entrainment valve in a FFM. So, they gray it out when FFM is selected.
Seems to have been programmed that way only on "early" S9 machines.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, all correct...
- The name of the feature is Smart Start and is shown on both the Autoset and older Elite.
- Remains operational on the Autoset using a full facemask (FFM)
- Becomes operational on the Elite when any other type of mask selected, except the FFM 

So, does it really matter what type of mask I enter even if I am using the FFM to get the Smart Start feature on the Elite?

Is it possible to update the Elite firmware to a newer version the allows both Smart Start and FFM?
current Elite SW is SX474-0602

Thanks
dtech99
Post Reply Post Reply
Negative on the firmware. That's tightly controlled by ResMed.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-23-2017, 03:19 PM)dtech99 Wrote: Yep, all correct...
[..]
So, does it really matter what type of mask I enter even if I am using the FFM to get the Smart Start feature on the Elite?
[..]

I'm from germany - so I might not use the correct terms - hopefully someone with more knowledge might shed some light and insight on that!

YES IT MATTERS!
The Dead space is really important! Your device does estimate that from what you select(!) - nothing more it doesn't know or ask for specific values.
This value really is important for increasing the pressure in case of any leaks (and even calculating them!) or breathing phase and to determine wether or not the occuring apnea was central or obstructive!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, that makes sense as you described the FFM functional requirements.  Looks like the "older" S9 Elite is not going to function with Smart Start since I do use a FFM.  Unfortunate, since the newer model Elite and the Autoset model I currently use works fine with both Smart Start and FFM settings.  Occasionally I will momentarily block the check valve with my finger to speed up the Smart Start.  That is no big deal to me.  

I will need to grow a longer arm to reach the on/off button to compensate for the lack of this feature!
Wink
dtech99
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Editing session start/end times within OSCAR jas102543 6 1,579 03-12-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: j12251225
Gross SpO2 Assistant Unable To Start Correctly Merlin309 0 460 09-03-2023, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Merlin309
  Oscar freezes on start following Win 11 update Grandpapa-G 6 705 04-21-2023, 07:15 AM
Last Post: zzzdmeted
Exclaimation OSCAR appears crashing on start B1Sailor 12 940 09-25-2022, 09:46 AM
Last Post: B1Sailor
  OSCAR screws up graph start time in winter PjotterHasApn 9 758 09-13-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: PjotterHasApn
Question Detecting machine stop/start/restarts? flcdrg 2 586 07-30-2022, 08:00 PM
Last Post: flcdrg
  Rainout on Resmed airsense elite BrianBrampton 0 495 01-13-2022, 10:30 AM
Last Post: BrianBrampton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.