Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto bipap -- the auto doesn't respond!
Auto bipap -- the auto doesn't respond!
Hi all, 

I've noticed that my phillips respironics dreamstation bipap auto function is kind of lame -- the auto rarely ever responds to events, and then it only responds for a short while. What's the point of having an auto function if it doesn't do much ? The screen shot is of as typical night (a pretty good night in terms of AHI though)

I have UARS, with more small flow limitations (arousal index ~40 per hour). Is it possible the phillips respironics machines just aren't up to the task of UARS ? 

Are resmeds maybe better ? I hear the Resmeds are more responsive -- is it worth trying out a resmed Vauto ?? Or the autosense for her which is even more responsive (so i hear) ?

Thanks a lot everyone!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto bipap -- the auto doesn't respond!
Erased my post as it didn't apply. Have no idea what I was thinking.   Dont-know
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your Dreamstation BiPAP Auto is set for a minimum EPAP of 6.0 with PS at 3.0 to 4.0 and IPAP max at 10.5. The settings are at fault here, not the machine. For your UARS and hypopnea, you need to increase PS min to 4.0 and possibly higher, and the IPAP max must be increased to 14.0 to give the machine some room to operate in auto mode.

While I prefer Resmed Vauto, your Dreamstation is handcuffed to low pressures by the IPAP max limit. Do not rely on the variable PS feature of the Dreamstation. With UARS you need higher minimum PS. If using a range, start at 4.0 to 6.0.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2018, 07:40 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your Dreamstation BiPAP Auto is set for a minimum EPAP of 6.0 with PS at 3.0 to 4.0 and IPAP max at 10.5.  The settings are at fault here, not the machine.  For your UARS and hypopnea, you need to increase PS min to 4.0 and possibly higher, and the IPAP max must be increased to 14.0 to give the machine some room to operate in auto mode.  

While I prefer Resmed Vauto, your Dreamstation is handcuffed to low pressures by the IPAP max limit.  Do not rely on the variable PS feature of the Dreamstation. With UARS you need higher minimum PS.  If using a range, start at 4.0 to 6.0.

Got it, thanks Sleeprider. Only issue is aerophagia and centrals -- i found that my pressure limit for any extended time is a bit over EPAP 6.5 / IPAP 8.5. I can tolerate pressures higher than that, but only for a little while. And PS 4 seems to be where centrals start to kick in.

That's why I wish I could rely on the pressure support range and auto responding more quickly.

Ah well, worth a shot -- I'll try cranking up the PS range to 3-5 and IPAP limit to 14. And keep Epap min to 6 or lower it to 5.5.
Post Reply Post Reply
I missed the part on aerophagia and the complication of centrals. Therapy under those conditions tends to be a game of compromise to find tolerable settings that produce tolerable results. First step is of course to find the absolute minimum EPAP that you can tolerate to resolve OA most of the time, then use the pressure support for hypopnea and flow limitation, up to your tolerance that does not trigger centrals. For responsiveness the Resmed is definitely faster, but will also keep you closer to the top of your range.

I think in cases like yours where there is a sensitivity to pressure support causing centrals, the use of Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space (EERS) is promising. http://www.sleepmedicineusa.com/UserFile...(EERS).pdf

We had a thread where we discussed the use of this technique here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...eep?page=2
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent, thanks! Came across those threads before, and read an article about diamox being really helpful in these cases too. To be fair, I've only tried PS at 4 a couple nights, and I think I can try to see if my body gets used to it over time.

I have very very few OAs even at EPAP 4.5, and 6.5/7 seems to eliminate them completely. But I found that Hypopneas are higher at lower EPAP pressures too -- and I seem to get some H and FLs at expiration when EPAP is lower. 

I read conflicting messages on this -- some say obstruction during expiration doesn't happen. Others say it does. Still others say it rarely does, and that the EPAP just has to be high enough to keep airways open enough so obstruction doesn't happen at end of expiration. 

Wonder which it is ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Expiratory flow limitation can clearly exist, but it practically defines COPD or other severe restriction condition. If you do a search for expiratory flow limitation there are many articles exploring the topic and you can decide if they have applicability to you. Most flow limitation treated by xPAP is inspiratory, and it responds to an EPAP pressure that stabilizes the airway preventing obstruction from happening at the end of expiration as inspiration is triggered; and it responds positively to pressure support to improve flow during inspiration when upper airway flow restriction may cause flow limits. I think the moments just prior to spontaneous inspiration are critical for EPAP pressure as this is the time that flow rates approach zero and only the CPAP is maintaining the airway. Expiration is considered passive for most people, and during sleep there is not a particular muscular effort required for expiration. This is in contrast to inspiration which is caused by expansion of the chest causing negative pressure in the lungs and airway. This negative pressure is what leads to obstruction in those of us with an airway prone to closure and positive pressure is maintained when using CPAP/BPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 670 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 251 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Airsense 10 Respond Questions SheShells23 12 460 03-11-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,327 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 198 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 390 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.