Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto bipap vs epr
Auto bipap vs epr
Hello all,

I have an aircurve Vauto. My question is this...

If I set the machine in vauto mode, with a pressure support of 3 and a max Ipap of 18,

Is it really any different than using an auto set, with a max pressure of 18 and an epr of 3?

Seems to me like in this case, the different machines/modes would essentially provide the same therapy...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto bipap vs epr
You would also have to set a min EPAP, but I agree it should be very similar as the PS acts roughly equivalent to EPR, the difference being, instead of exhale pressure relief, you are increasing pressure from EPAP. Same difference, eh? For more fun and games, the PS on the PRS1 760 can be set as a range. So with Resmed the EPAP and IPAP move together, while with a Philips BiPAP, EPAP and IPAP move independently constrained only by the minimum and maximum pressure support.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So my thought is if I am getting effective therapy on Vauto with a pressure support of 3 and a max Ipap of below 20, I could probably get by with a much cheaper airsense 10 auto set.

I need to pick up a backup machine at some point...could save a lot of money this way...
Post Reply Post Reply
Bilevel with pressure support less than 4 CM is a comfort issue rather than therapeutic. Yes, the Autoset should be fine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2015, 07:39 PM)Cygnus Wrote: If I set the machine in vauto mode, with a pressure support of 3 and a max Ipap of 18,

Is it really any different than using an auto set, with a max pressure of 18 and an epr of 3?

I'm not sure if a EPR of 3 means a pressure drop of 3 cm. If it does then perhaps they are the same. Another difference might be the timing of the pressure change. For example with EPR the pressure rises back up to 18 when you stop exhaling but with the VAuto it may not rise back up until you start inhaling.

Quote:I need to pick up a backup machine at some point...could save a lot of money this way...

Look for an older S9 Autoset and see if it works for you.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 230 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 379 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 412 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 636 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  bipap Innisfree 2 454 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help with bipap Al N 7 758 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 627 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.