Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto machine help
Auto machine help
Hello everyone, 

I am interested in purchasing an auto machine that will constantly adjust to my need.  
I understand the dream station has this feature but I called my supplier and was informed it was auto for 30 days.  Thanks for any help you can provide.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto machine help
Your supplier is incompetent, evasive, or lying.  There is a DreamStation model that does that, but it is not the Auto model, it is a cheaper one.  

I will suggest that you look at this list of machines, and which are good, data-capable machines, and which are best avoided:
Machine Choices

And Welcome!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sidney,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and good luck to you as you start CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your warm welcomes. 

I am in Canada and got my current outdated machine while in university. I am working now and I really need a better machine to help me become as effective at my job. I have to buy from my supplier to have them analyze it and keep me on track etc.

The airsense is sold by but it's really expensive - $1800 cnd plus tax. I am checking [commercial web address removed, instead please refer to the "Amazon website"] and the american prices are very affordable.

I have a sleep apnea index of 92 to 105 depending on my sleep position.  I read a few comparisons between dream station and airsense, but i'm so confused right now.

I really want an auto machine as my weight varies and whenever I do a test a few months later the prescribed pressure no longer works.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sidney, the Dreamstation comes in three different models: the cheapest one is a fixed CPAP only, the next one up called Dreamstation Pro is a fixed CPAP with a 30day Auto PAP function, then there is Dreamstation Auto, which is the one you want. There might also be a BiPap model, but that' s not what you are looking for.

My sleep clinic wanted to sell me the Auto one for $2200 but my insurance said it should be not over $1700, of which they would have paid 80%, so I ended up buying it directly from a supplier in Canada for under $1000. Made my insurance and my wallet happy but the sleep clinic P*ssed off. They said they could no longer help me, which was a blessing in disguise, because it brought me here and learning all about my therapy that they didn't share with me. You can find a supplier by googling, there are more than one. You will need your prescription to buy a machine if you want to go that route.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2017, 08:54 PM)Russatrice Wrote: Hi Sidney, the Dreamstation comes in three different models: the cheapest one is a fixed CPAP only, the next one up called Dreamstation Pro is a fixed CPAP with a 30day Auto PAP function, then there is Dreamstation Auto, which is the one you want. There might also be a BiPap model, but that' s not what you are looking for.

My sleep clinic wanted to sell me the Auto one for $2200 but my insurance said it should be not over $1700, of which they would have paid 80%, so I ended up buying it directly from a supplier in Canada for under $1000. Made my insurance and my wallet happy but the sleep clinic P*ssed off. They said they could no longer help me, which was a blessing in disguise, because it brought me here and learning all about my therapy that they didn't share with me. You can find a supplier by googling, there are more than one. You will need your prescription to buy a machine if you want to go that route.

Who is your supplier ? I am currently working on contract so no insurance as yet. 
and how do you find the dream station ? and which mask are you using with it if you don't mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2017, 08:54 PM)Russatrice Wrote: Hi Sidney, the Dreamstation comes in three different models: the cheapest one is a fixed CPAP only, the next one up called Dreamstation Pro is a fixed CPAP with a 30day Auto PAP function, then there is Dreamstation Auto, which is the one you want. There might also be a BiPap model, but that' s not what you are looking for.

I was thinking to myself today that the high price of these machines is really because they know the gov provides $850 and private insurance cover the rest. But it seems they also want clients to spend out of their pockets too. Pricing is just crazy high. They can be helpful but you're right there is much more you can learn elsewhere. Interpreting the data is also vital so if this board can help with that it would also be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
If 'the gov' provides $850, then you must be in Ontario... If you qualify for an APAP, it's $1020. That's for the machine only; the mask and other sundries are extra. My insurance paid for a 'Premium' package which had everything, including a fancy CPAP pillow. That came to about $1000 extra for my complete system, including pretty good service trying multiple masks. I probably would not have gotten the premium package on my own. In my case, the trial mask help was very useful. Other than the mask help though, most of what I have learned I learned here on the ApneaBoard. So you probably can save money by going on-line, even forgoing the ADP money.

Oh, BTW, 'the gov' purchase includes a five year warranty, instead of two years. I don't know if you can get that if you don't use ADP. And if you import, you probably have to send it back for service. That may not be a problem; I don't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
The two major auto CPAP machines are the Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto, and the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Both of these manufacturers also produce fixed CPAP machines (Pro and Elite) respectively, as well as CPAP bricks that do not provide data (CPAP model). Both will do a good job of treating you. The Resmed has a faster response to increasing pressure, but the Philips can be optimized with a higher minimum pressure. Both provide full data that you can use to stay on track probably better than if you rely on a supplier. No supplier will change settings without a doctor's order anyway.

The Resmed is considerably more expensive than Philips through channels like Amazon. Similarly, Supplier #2 will ship to Canada and generally charges more for the Resmed. Supplier #2 is selling a new Dreamstation Auto for $569 USD and the Airsense 10 Autoset for $749 USD. A "gently used Resmed S9 Autoset for $379. Note the S9 is the older version of the Airsense 10 and has similar capabilities and response. You would have to call about any shipping charges and taxes for Canada.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2017, 11:40 PM)pholynyk Wrote: If 'the gov' provides $850, then you must be in Ontario... If you qualify for an APAP, it's $1020. That's for the machine only; the mask and other sundries are extra. My insurance paid for a 'Premium' package which had everything, including a fancy CPAP pillow. That came to about $1000 extra for my complete system, including pretty good service trying multiple masks. I probably would not have gotten the premium package on my own. In my case, the trial mask help was very useful. Other than the mask help though, most of what I have learned I learned here on the ApneaBoard. So you probably can save money by going on-line, even forgoing the ADP money.

Oh, BTW, 'the gov' purchase includes a five year warranty, instead of two years. I don't know if you can get that if you don't use ADP. And if you import, you probably have to send it back for service. That may not be a problem; I don't know.

(02-10-2017, 10:29 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The two major auto CPAP machines are the Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto, and the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.  Both of these manufacturers also produce fixed CPAP machines (Pro and Elite) respectively, as well as CPAP bricks that do not provide data (CPAP model).  Both will do a good job of treating you.  The Resmed has a faster response to increasing pressure, but the Philips can be optimized with a higher minimum pressure.  Both provide full data that you can use to stay on track probably better than if you rely on a supplier.  No supplier will change settings without a doctor's order anyway.  

The Resmed is considerably more expensive than Philips through channels like Amazon.  Similarly, Supplier #2 will ship to Canada and generally charges more for the Resmed.  Supplier #2 is selling a new Dreamstation Auto for $569 USD and the Airsense 10 Autoset for $749 USD. A "gently used Resmed S9 Autoset for $379.  Note the S9 is the older version of the Airsense 10 and has similar capabilities and response. You would have to call about any shipping charges and taxes for Canada.

THanks for the info and the suppliers list!! Only one Canadian seller but the price available is way better than my old supplier. I will research the list and see the best prices. 
Which machine should I go with tho ? Is there a great difference ? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,340 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,192 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 597 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,004 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  [Treatment] New ASV auto machine RickEiben 0 488 05-12-2023, 12:25 AM
Last Post: RickEiben
  PRS1 Auto BIPAP, Starting Prisma ST machine ArnieSwas 32 4,519 12-27-2022, 11:33 AM
Last Post: ArnieSwas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.