Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto or Standard?
Auto or Standard?
Hi! Newly dx with UARS and was given a CPAP set at 12 (covered by our medical program so at no cost). I wake up with terrible stomach pain caused by forced air. I initially was given an Auto machine to do a home study with and didn't notice the stomach pain (though I did have some minimal bloating). Question: do I wait it out, hope it subsides and stick with the standard air pressure machine since there is no cost for me OR do I go out and purchase my own auto? Are there other benefits to the auto that would make it worth the cost? Thanks for help/suggestions Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto or Standard?
Hi quietgal,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The auto is better because it will adjust to the pressure you need and an auto machine can be used as a straight CPAP machine as well.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. As you read the posts here, you will learn that most of the experienced users monitor their therapy. To facilitate that effort, they need a device that is fully data capable, preferably with the autoset feature. Also needed is a data recording and analysis program for the computer. Most folks use SleepyHead or ResScan. I am a fairly new user so will leave it to others to add details to this suggestion. You have given yourself a huge advantage by finding and using this forum!

You can search for a thread entitled aerophagia to see more information on the bloated feeling you are experiencing. I had the same problem when I started. With a lot of help from the forum, I lowered my pressure slightly and started wearing a chin strap. By keeping my mouth shut and staying off my back, I am now swallowing very little air.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are likely swallowing air, perhaps due to letting your cheeks fill up (chipmunk cheeks).

If possible try to keep your mouth fully closed and with NO empty space inside the mouth.

With no feeling of a "full mouth" you won't need to swallow, which sets off a complex chain of physiological actions that include moving "things" to your stomach.

It's not the air pressure PER SE probably but the act of swallowing (which you may be doing only in your sleep) which moves the air into the esophagus and thus into the stomach etc.

It's hard to stop the swallowing but relatively possible to avoid the "air in mouth" problem.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Aerophagia troubles some people and not others. You may well be able to adapt to your set pressure machine; and it won't be an issue.

The advantages of an auto machine are manifold. In your case, it may permit you to average a lower pressure to lessen the aerophagia.
IMO -- aerophagia in itself is not a reason to get an Auto. And depending on where you are, and your doctor, it might be frowned upon. i.e. -- your doctor may not like you having an Auto machine.

Follow the forum for a while and weigh your options... then decide what is best for you.
The forum is educational in scope and mission -- only you can decide what's in your best interest.
We're just experienced amateurs here; who have a common medical issue.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a straight CPAP for a good while and finally switched over to Auto. I have had
a lot better results, specially in the stomach air dept!
The Auto will keep you at a lower pressure till you need it. I swallow a lot less air that way.

Wink

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all very much for your thoughts Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Quietgal.
I hope you received some answers that are able to help you.
Have you made any enquiries about changing your machine for an Auto?
Good luck getting getting your problem sorted one way or another.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum quietgal.

This is a great place for us hoseheads!

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, quietgal.

We need to know what machine you have.

Look next to the power button for something like Escape, Elite, AutoSet.

Does it have a water tank?

How well you (or your doctor) can manage your treatment depends on which machine you have. If you have an "Escape" model, it doesn't collect any data on your therapy, other than the times it's turned on and the settings. If you have an Elite or better machine, it will actually monitor your breathing and can tell how your therapy is working.

An auto machine is always a better choice. An auto CPAP can solve some of the problems with manual CPAP. There are sometimes problems with Auto CPAP therapy. Many times these can be fixed by proper adjustments. Even if you can't solve your Auto CPAP problems, all Auto CPAP machines can be set to run in manual mode.

i.e. inside every Auto CPAP machine is a free manual CPAP machine. There's no advantage (other than cost) to a manual machine.

Unfortunately, our modern medical mafia practices "assembly line" sleep apnea treatment. Run some expensive $leep te$t$, give the patient the cheapest machine possible, blame the patient for any problems, don't spend a lot of time or effort figuring out how to make it work for the patient.

Many of us have had to fight hard to get proper machines and therapy.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 585 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Resmed A11 Autoset - Set to standard time? foss 2 499 11-07-2023, 05:48 AM
Last Post: multicast
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 598 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,004 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  [Equipment] Mask issues that aren't covered in the standard Q&A MullingInk 1 399 04-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Non Standard Masks and the ResMed AirMini Columbiabill 1 456 03-02-2023, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Slimline vs Standard vs 3m Tubing Affect AirCurve 10 Response Time? KeepSmiling 2 964 11-15-2022, 01:40 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.