Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto pressure setting advice
Auto pressure setting advice
Hi guys,I have just received my new PRS1 auto after trialling a couple of different machines.The hire machines were set at 10cm after the original prescribed pressure of 8cm wasn't doing the job.My AHI average over the past week has been 3.7 and 4.8 for the last 30 day's.I've had a high of 15.6,And had a handful of low results.I would like to try the machine set on auto.I was thinking of setting it from 8cm to 12cm.Do these settings sound ok? Also are there other factors I need to consider before setting the pressure.Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto pressure setting advice
Hi and welcome,

When I set up my own Auto I left it wide open from 4 to 18 and from the advice I got here I gradually changed the settings to close up the gap around my average.

I would be inclined to go from 5 to 14 and gradually move the bottom one up over a couple of weeks.

If you use sleepyhead software you will be able to see your pressures that the machine Auto Titrates to.

There are a lot more experienced people on here who I'm sure will be able to give you very sound advice based on their experience and knowledge.

Good luck
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I just purchased a Resmed 10 Auto Airsense for my husband from the states I live in Australia, I emailed through the prescription, however they never set it it's still on the default of 4-20 can you tell me if there's a link somewhere in the forum, that shows me exactly how to change it please?Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2014, 03:10 AM)Seismic Snorer Wrote: Hi guys,I have just received my new PRS1 auto after trialling a couple of different machines.The hire machines were set at 10cm after the original prescribed pressure of 8cm wasn't doing the job.My AHI average over the past week has been 3.7 and 4.8 for the last 30 day's.I've had a high of 15.6,And had a handful of low results.I would like to try the machine set on auto.I was thinking of setting it from 8cm to 12cm.Do these settings sound ok? Also are there other factors I need to consider before setting the pressure.Thanks.

Since you are already closely dialed in, your suggested window of pressure makes sense.

(12-09-2014, 06:34 AM)tjmc Wrote: Hi I just purchased a Resmed 10 Auto Airsense for my husband from the states I live in Australia, I emailed through the prescription, however they never set it it's still on the default of 4-20 can you tell me if there's a link somewhere in the forum, that shows me exactly how to change it please?Thanks

There is... go to the top level of the website to private files and links an enter there. click on CPAP Clinician Setup Manuals - Change your own CPAP Pressure.. Then follow the instructions for getting the manual for your machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone,
New at this too. My auto Cpap was left wide open at 4 to 20. Noticed after downloading Sleepiyhead that my Ahi were 5 to 8 range. I have learned a lot from this forum and thank those of you who have been at this for awhile to give advice. My perscribed setting was at 9. I noticed that during the night it would go up to 12, so I am now taking things into my own hands, and am trying to narrow my range slowly. Currently have it set on Auto Cpap 7 to 16. I will continue to narrow the range depending what Sleepyhead shows me. My ahi has dropped to between 1.5 and 2 most nights. Does anyone have any advice as to where my range should be?
Thanks

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2014, 08:22 AM)roe1549 Wrote: Hi everyone,
New at this too. My auto Cpap was left wide open at 4 to 20. Noticed after downloading Sleepiyhead that my Ahi were 5 to 8 range. I have learned a lot from this forum and thank those of you who have been at this for awhile to give advice. My perscribed setting was at 9. I noticed that during the night it would go up to 12, so I am now taking things into my own hands, and am trying to narrow my range slowly. Currently have it set on Auto Cpap 7 to 16. I will continue to narrow the range depending what Sleepyhead shows me. My ahi has dropped to between 1.5 and 2 most nights. Does anyone have any advice as to where my range should be?
Thanks

Everyone is different. Narrowing the range from wide open to a window around the "sweet spot" in the pressure increases comfort; allows mask fitting at near working pressure; and keeps the machine in the neighborhood of best pressure so it does not have to correct over a wide window such as 4 to 20. That 4 to 20 range is often set when letting the machine auto-titrate a patient.

One should still give it enough working pressure range; as each night is different. 7 to 16 makes sense to me.

Your AHI is good. The important question is: How do you feel?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
justMongo is likely correct.

To change your settings get the "Clinician" manual for your device (elsewhere here on the forum.)

Wide open to *me* means something a little different -- usually the actual wide open is 4-20 on the first line APAP machines.

However, even though a FEW people can get decent therapy below 8, most people don't even enjoy using the machine down there.

This motivates setting your low range to something like at least 6-8.

Set your high range a LITTLE higher than the most you have seen. If the machine doesn't get up there (through autoadjusting) it won't matter. If it needs the headroom (due to your apnea) you likely will learn something about the best settings.

After that, watch it a while, and consider narrowing the range, mainly by raising the LOW number as long as you are comfortable.

Why the low number? Because if every night the machine moves you up from your lowest to some higher number for the average, you might as well just use something closer to the average -- you are doing that anyway and will no longer need to have a few events before the machine knows to move the setting.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2014, 03:10 AM)Seismic Snorer Wrote: Hi guys,I have just received my new PRS1 auto after trialling a couple of different machines.The hire machines were set at 10cm after the original prescribed pressure of 8cm wasn't doing the job.My AHI average over the past week has been 3.7 and 4.8 for the last 30 day's.I've had a high of 15.6,And had a handful of low results.I would like to try the machine set on auto.I was thinking of setting it from 8cm to 12cm.Do these settings sound ok? Also are there other factors I need to consider before setting the pressure.Thanks.
Hi Seismic Snorer,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try 8 for your minimum pressure and 16 for your maximum pressure and see how you do with that, but hang in there for more suggestions from others who know more about this than I do.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2014, 06:34 AM)tjmc Wrote: Hi I just purchased a Resmed 10 Auto Airsense for my husband from the states I live in Australia, I emailed through the prescription, however they never set it it's still on the default of 4-20 can you tell me if there's a link somewhere in the forum, that shows me exactly how to change it please?Thanks
Hi tjmc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Your husband is fortunate to have you looking out for him, great job.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Much success to your husband with his CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2014, 08:22 AM)roe1549 Wrote: Hi everyone,
Thanks
Hi roe1549,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you have taken your therapy into your own hands.
The pressures that you suggested, (8/16,) sounds good.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,806 57 minutes ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 300 8 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 177 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 869 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 155 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.