Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto ramp: Do you use, why or why not.
RE: Auto ramp: Do you use, why or why not.
Most people report that the ramp was a useful feature during the first week or two of therapy as they got adapted. After that they stopped using it. I had a similar experience.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well everyone is different. Personally I know that I can tell the difference between 0.2 cm pressure as long as that difference crosses what I can tolerate. And yes I have gone back and tested this a lot, I would like to use higher pressure and just cannot tolerate it, so I go just as high as I can.

I do not doubt when someone says that 1 cm makes a difference to them, I am sure that it does
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes! Mask fit. That's another reason I like just turning it on. Get the mask set right immediately.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think I did not explain what I was using auto ramp for. I am understanding that the auto ramp does not start the ramp until you are asleep or as close as the machine can tell.
I am trying to trick the machine to delay therapy until I am asleep. I am thinking the machine will not respond to problems during the ramp time. My ramp start Is 5 and min pressure is 6. There is nothing to ramp but the pressure should stay low until I fall asleep.

I hope this makes better sense.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I am pretty sure that on the current Respironics machines it is just a timer. I think if it starts detecting events during this time that it will respond. The Resmed S7 had a "Settling time" feature. I did not see that on the S9 that I had before it died.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not been a fan of ramp. My pressure is high, and ramp makes me feel like i can't breathe.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Instead of trying to trick the machine, you should try and get use to your pressure while you are fully awake , watch TV or read til your too tried to stay awake, When you get used to going right to sleep, set your pressure to the minimum of 6 and auto to 10 forget the ramp process. It just takes some time getting used to it, keep strong you'll make it!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally I only "get used to it" when I have no other options. Machines are there for us to use in any way we chose, CPAP is no different than a hammer or drill. If you can adjust a tool to work better for you, then by all means do it as long as you can be safe doing so. Nothing being described sounds dangerous.
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep ramp turned off I prefer the higher stable pressure when going to sleep. My Bride has ramp on because she like the gradual increase in pressure when going to sleep.

I don't believe it effect ones therapy; more like choosing ketchup or salsa on your potatoes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dreamstation 2 ramp time Sir Snoresalot 4 399 01-08-2024, 08:35 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,000 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  Question re ramp up/starting pressure airsense 11 rebean 3 600 07-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Melman
  [Equipment] Turn off Ramp. CactusJack 4 9,198 03-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: DISleepApnea
  Ramp Time JeffL 4 607 03-28-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.