Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto settings on CPAP
Question 
Auto settings on CPAP
I've just had my tritation study last night. I had the best night sleep that I've had for as long as I can remember. They say it will take 3 weeks for the results of this study to return. I don't know if I can wait that long. I'm planning on getting an automatic machine, and I want to know if it would be alright to get it now and just have it adjusted to the min and max setting that the machine will do.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto settings on CPAP
G'day Joan, welcome to Apnea Board.

Sometimes I just don't understand the medical profession. If you've had your titration test then the technician already knows what your pressures will be - it's just a case of CYA that they're waiting for a g̶o̶d̶ doctor to sign it off.

Do you know if you have obstructive apnea, central or mixed? Central and mixed are fairly rare, but usually require a different type of machine. If you have normal obstructive apnea then an automatic machine like the Resmed Airsense Autoset (or Autoset for Her) is a good way to go. It seems a great number of patients are provided with a machine set "wide open" - this is very much a sub-optimal solution, but may be better than nothing, at least until the god deigns to sign off your prescription.

By the way, if you're not in the US you might like to compare your local prices with those available on line. Have a look at the suppliers list (link at the top of the page).

Post Reply Post Reply
You could have probably skipped the titration study and gotten a prescription for an Auto CPAP. As long as you don't have complex apnea, it would self-titrate and work fine. With your diagnosis for obstructive apnea, just ask your doctor for an expedited prescription you can use to purchase your own machine. If you want to use insurance, then you should probably wait for the titration results and prescription from that process. You can always make yourself a pest and demand the prescription NOW. There is no reason at all it should not be available. Also let them know you want to select your own provider. That may speed things up.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Joan57,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you much success as you start your CPAP therapy.
You might talk to your doc and have him/her write a prescription so you can purchase a machine on line, good luck, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 231 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 261 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 938 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 407 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 477 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.