Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Auto vs CPAP
Auto vs CPAP
I've used my PR System One for 4-5 years.  Originally set for 8.5 but I boosted it up to 9.5 about a year ago.   No data from it.

I am considering purchasing a DreamStation GO with some healthcare spending account $$ that's getting ready to expire.   And I'm debating whether or not to purchase an Auto PAP or a CPAP machine.   And recommendations?  ...or considerations I should be thinking about? And does anyone know if I get the Auto and don't care for the auto feature... can I set it up as manual at the 9.5?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Auto vs CPAP
Get the auto. Yes, you can set it to fixed mode. That makes it a more versatile machine. Get a fully data capable machine. Like the DreamStation DSX500T11.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My opinion is go for the Auto cpap, and yes, you can use it in either Cpap mode or Auto Mode.

Here is a link to help in your decision and which machines to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

The current newest machines are the PR DreamStation Auto and the ResMed Airsense 10 Auto.

Also, be sure the machine you choose is compatible with #SleepyHead software.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick replies.  I'm looking for a portable/travel machine and am planning to buy the DreamStation GO.    Do you consider that to be a fully data capable machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you've tried auto and found that it totally does not work for you, get an auto. It has a cpap function. This is the machine you will have for 5 years so you want something that is flexible as your needs change.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Dreamstation Go is fully data capable, with all the goodies usually found on PR machines. It uses a micro-SD instead of standard SD so chances are you'll need an adaptor to interface with your computer.

I would go APAP. There are few, if any reasons to go cpap only, and the apap will meet your needs on an ongoing basis and can be used as a straight cpap if you need it. One consideration is that the Go does not currently have humidification, and when used with the battery it's roughly the same size as the standard Dreamstation with humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dillida,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

AS others have mentioned, the AutoPap is the best way to go and you can use the APAP in Fixed pressure CPAP mode if you should need to do that.
Good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My only problem with the Dreamstation Go is that it might not be compatible with Sleepyhead which makes it hard to work your therapy to the best level if it is the ONLY machine you have. It uses a MicroSD card rather than an SD card... don't know if there is a Flashair equivalent for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my experience relating to CPAP vs. APAP. After my very first sleep study, my sleep doc gave me an Rx for a CPAP with pressure of 9. I used it for a couple weeks. Upon reading on this forum, I decided to exchange my CPAP for an APAP. The doctor happily agreed and changed the Rx to APAP with a range of 4 - 20. The last couple nights I've used it, the machine has automatically adjusted the pressure up above 9. One night it went up to around 10.6 and on another night up to 11.8. Goes to show that sticking at the original rx of 9 on CPAP would clearly be less than optimal.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2017, 08:52 PM)Nicholas Wrote: Here's my experience relating to CPAP vs. APAP. After my very first sleep study, my sleep doc gave me an Rx for a CPAP with pressure of 9. I used it for a couple weeks. Upon reading on this forum, I decided to exchange my CPAP for an APAP. The doctor happily agreed and changed the Rx to APAP with a range of 4 - 20. The last couple nights I've used it, the machine has automatically adjusted the pressure up above 9. One night it went up to around 10.6 and on another night up to 11.8. Goes to show that sticking at the original rx of 9 on CPAP would clearly be less than optimal.

I had a similar experience.

I was prescribed a CPAP with a pressure of 7.  I insisted on an APAP and although the rx was for pressure fixed at 7, I set it up with a range.  Starting the first night and nearly every night since the machine goes up around 11 or 12 to keep things in check.  I would not be getting good therapy with that CPAP machine they wanted to give me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 562 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 585 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 549 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 2,976 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  Auto-adjusting CPAP as replacement in Philips Recall Speusippus 1 573 08-14-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Apex XT Auto CPAP - Error 003 - Factory Reset? zephyr325 0 833 05-24-2023, 03:52 PM
Last Post: zephyr325

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.