Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AutoPAP: When to change min/max pressure?
AutoPAP: When to change min/max pressure?
Hi Everybody! I've been using my current APAP settings for 6 days now and so far they've been working well. My AHI is always below 1 with only 1 or 2 events per night, even a handful of 0.0's! Still, I look at my Snore and Pressure charts and wonder if any small tweaks are in order. So here are the questions I have:

1) What are the indications that the minimum pressure should be raised?
2) What are the indications that the maximum pressure should be raised?

Attached below is my SleepyHead chart from last night, where I noticed a couple things. First, I have the ramp configured to start at my minimum pressure of 9.6, but to hold that for 5 minutes before making any adjustments (useful to null out any "stupid breathing" I do while initially getting comfortable, adjusting my pillow & position, etc). The second that 5 minute "ramp" is up, it will usually jump into the 10s and stay there. Seems to indicate to me that my starting pressure should be at least 10 if it doesn't bother me. The other indicator to that effect is that when the pressure slowly decreases and dips below 10, I'll typically snore or have a mild flow limit event that will cause it to jack up to the 10s (or above) again.

As for the max, it has never once actually hit the max of 14, but has come close to around 13.7 for brief interventions. Does the max pressure "discourage" the machine from maxing out in any way, or is it safe to assume that as long as it never hits the absolute max there is no reason to raise the max limit?

[Image: ScreenHunter_03%20Nov.%2029%2009.31.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AutoPAP: When to change min/max pressure?
It would be nice to see the event graph along with the others.

Yes, the pressure does respond to snores, but it didn't quite reach 14 during the snores around 3am. It's only one night, so you should watch it to see how often the pressure rises to max and what triggers it.

The FL graph looks good too.

Don't see any reason to raise the max pressure right now, but raising the start pressure to 10 wouldn't hurt.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This was from an AHI 0.0 night, so no events to show. I also think the apnea events I've had so far occurred when the pressure was in the 10s. I'll have to look.
Post Reply Post Reply
Either way, you seem to have your therapy pretty well "zeroed" in. Wink

Are you feeling good during the day?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I definitely feel less like a zombie in the morning than I used to. I still yawn quite a bit in the first 30-60 mins of my waking, but so far not in the middle of the day as was typical. Waiting to see how I feel during the coming work week. It's strange, when I get out of bed my brain feels more awake than my body does, like my muscles wouldn't mind sleeping more or something. I also notice that when I have to get up for bathroom breaks I'm more decisive about it and don't try and fight it in a half asleep state for 30 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
What does SleepyHead report as your 95% pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
Ever since I switched it to Auto, the 95% mark has read between 11.3-12.25
Post Reply Post Reply
With an AHI of 0.0, I sure wouldn't advocate dial twirling to resolve things that are not a problem like reported snores and FL. You are sleeping well and have effective treatment. Don't screw with that! This is where seeing the data can induce you to make unnecessary changes, adjustment and ultimately mistakes. You're good. Leave it alone.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2015, 11:29 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: With an AHI of 0.0, I sure wouldn't advocate dial twirling to resolve things that are not a problem like reported snores and FL. You are sleeping well and have effective treatment. Don't screw with that! This is where seeing the data can induce you to make unnecessary changes, adjustment and ultimately mistakes. You're good. Leave it alone.

I concur. I would at least give these settings some more time, 6 days is not much to go on.
Post Reply Post Reply
what do your leak graphs look like? do leaks cause your pressure to rise? If changing pressures don't disturb you at all, then I wouldnt change a thing... at least not for a while. work on 0 leaks instead Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,416 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 316 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 365 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple
  EPR Change to Help With Flow Limits? upsman 4 361 01-22-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: upsman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.