Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Washable H5i - Isn't
RE: Washable H5i - Isn't
(07-09-2012, 11:33 AM)dfhudson53 Wrote: I'm still trying to understand why I should bother to wash the water canister at all.

I notice that I get an invisible slime on mine, so I rinse it out every other day or so, and fill it with fresh water. I use filtered water, not distilled water.

I'll run it through the dishwasher every few weeks or so, too. Note, though, that I have the PRS1 so mine is easy to remove and wash. My insurance company replaces mine every six months.

Quote:The other thing that leads me to be skeptical about some of the "daily cleaning" recommendations ...

I agree. I think it's mostly manufacturer paranoia. If a patient gets sick from a bacterial infection and tries to sue them, they can claim, "Hey, we warned ya' to wash it every day!"

I wash the hose once every week or two. Same with the mask. I do wash the nasal pillow more frequently, though.

I'm not saying that everyone should be as cavalier about washing as I am. I'm just being honest about how often I wash my parts.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I noticed any sort of build-up on the water canister, I'd probably be washing it more often as well. So far, though, I haven't noticed anything.

I can see some sense in washing the parts that come into direct contact with the user (the mask or "pillows", mostly). I'm still making up my mind on the tubing -- I guess if water condenses inside the tubing and sits there, that could be a problem. This time of year, I haven't seen any evidence of that, so I've been pretty relaxed about cleaning the tubing. And as for cleaning the head straps . . . I think that has got to be a cosmetic issue, not a health concern. I think I read somewhere that I should be washing the straps weekly, or something like that. Had them for a month now, haven't washed them yet. They still seem to work. :-)

Going back to the original issue, I see that several of the online CPAP supply places (also Amazon) list the two "water tub" models separately, as the "standard" and "cleanable" versions, with different prices! The pictures are the same, though, and show what appears to be the older 3-part design, but with the plastic side-flaps from the newer, 2-part design. Maybe there is yet another version of the water tub out there - I've only seen two so far, but I guess there could be more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2012, 03:22 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Note, though, that I have the PRS1 so mine is easy to remove and wash.

Sunday is my "wash day" and this is the first Sunday I have had my new machine so I decided to toss the humidifier tank in at the same time (I fill the sink with hot soapy water and let everything soak while I do the rest of my chores). It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the tank apart because I was making it way more complicated than it turned out to be! What a piece of cake! I am truly amazed that they made it so easy!
To Respironics - Thanks
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2012, 05:02 PM)mjbearit Wrote: It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the tank apart because I was making it way more complicated than it turned out to be!

I guess you had a hard time filling it then? The only easy way to fill it is to remove the cover. It was the first thing my DME showed me how to do.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2012, 06:27 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-09-2012, 05:02 PM)mjbearit Wrote: It took me a few minutes to figure out how to get the tank apart because I was making it way more complicated than it turned out to be!

I guess you had a hard time filling it then? The only easy way to fill it is to remove the cover. It was the first thing my DME showed me how to do.

If you figure out the trick, it's quite easy to fill the PRS1 tank without removing the top. Take it out of the humidifier with the right hand. Grab the opposite side of the tank with the left hand. Now, let the tank droop to the right about 45 degrees. This breaks the air lock that makes it difficult to add water. Now pour water in the top hole.

After a little practice, it's a snap.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
The enthusiastic and helpful lady from Respironcis will show you how its done in the video
http://respironicsremstars.respironics.com/video3.aspx
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2012, 06:27 PM)Sleepster Wrote:

No, I just pour the water in the top hole. It's a pretty big hole!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.