Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

Automobile Collision Repair
On Nov 26 I was on my way home from work, riding in the right lane of the freeway. A SUV was on the exit ramp ahead of me, turned to get back on the freeway, hit the barrels on the median separating the ramp from the freeway (construction zone) and passed right in front of me. The next thing I knew after feeling the impact was that I was parked in the right lane, my airbag had collapsed, and I was still alive. The SUV was now behind me and one lane over to the left.

I was impressed with the tow service and had them do the repairs.

Car was supposed to be repaired by Dec 20, more than 3 weeks was allowed and agreed to by both the insurance company and the repair shop. I called on the 18th and they told me it would be delayed a couple days because the adjuster forgot to include the clock spring for the air bag, but it would definitely be ready before the 25th. I called on the 23rd and they said it wouldn't be ready until the 26th or 27th because the reconditioned bumper they were told to order hadn't arrived, and they had to order a new bumper. I called on the 26th and they said it wouldn't be ready until the 30th because the painter was on
vacation. On the 30th they said it would be done by the end of the day but called and said it wouldn't ready until noon on the 31st.

I called at noon on the 31st and they said it wouldn't be done until 5 pm because some of the bumper parts were missing and the clock spring was the wrong part. I called later that day to ask what time they closed and they said it wouldn't be ready until Jan 2nd because it needed a front end alignment and there was a crack in the windshield.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-31-2013 08:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

RE: Automobile Collision Repair
So far, not so good. I found out that the insurance company had cut a check for the repairs way back on Nov 28, and although it was written to both parties (me and the repair facility) the repair facility had cashed the check the next day.

I'm thinking there's no motivation for them to finish because they've already been paid. And they shouldn't have cashed the check without my permission, although when I signed the authorization for them to do the repairs I may have signed away my rights, allowing them the freedom to cash the check.

When I asked my insurance company if there are any checks or balances in place to make the repair facility fulfill their end of the bargain they were hesitant to answer. But the bottom line, they told me, is that they only pay for the repairs. They do nothing to make sure the repairs are done correctly. It seems (to me) the repair shop can keep the car as long as they want, there's no real deadline by which they are forced to return the vehicle to me, and there's nothing that can be done if they simply delay returning the car to me indefinitely.

My only option at this point is to either let them keep the car while I either buy or rent a new one at my expense (insurance paid for only 30 days of car rental) or hire another repair shop to go there, pick up the vehicle, and repair it.

The insurance company is saying that if I had used one of their authorized repair facilities they would cover the extra cost of the rental car while the delayed repairs are being completed. The repair facility is saying that the delays are caused by the insurance company's failure to include the clock spring, new bumper, and windshield repair in their original estimate.

So, what do you think? Is my only option at this point hiring a lawyer and suing both the repair facility and the insurance company? Something's amiss here because the repair shop has possession of my property, and has failed to deliver on their promise of repairing the vehicle.

Do the laws not protect the consumer? Can the repair facility just keep the money, keep the car, and not do the repairs?

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-31-2013 09:08 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

I cannot helps but can tell you that "your guarding angel" was looking after you Coffee
12-31-2013 09:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

You can contact the state insurance office. And/or the local better business bureau. Both of those would be able to tell you what you can do next.

You can also pull the "child" trick. Get a handful of neighborhood kids and, with their parents' permissions, tell them that where they are going, they can be brats as long as it is safe. Come up with a code word for "That's not safe". Then take them down to the repair place and tell them you'll wait. This has worked with several women I know.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

12-31-2013 09:45 PM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(12-31-2013 09:29 PM)zonk Wrote:  I cannot helps but can tell you that "your guarding angel" was looking after you Coffee

Oh, I realize that, and I realize that I'm lucky to be alive to even be able to complain.

But still, we're approaching 5 weeks for a job that was supposed to take 3. And the series of lame "it'll be ready soon" promises. Aargh.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

12-31-2013 11:04 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(12-31-2013 09:45 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  You can contact the state insurance office. And/or the local better business bureau. Both of those would be able to tell you what you can do next.

I'm planning on filing a complaint with the BBB, because one of the reasons we chose this place was that they had only one complaint, and it was resolved. This one won't be, I can guarantee that.

The state insurance office is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

Quote:You can also pull the "child" trick. Get a handful of neighborhood kids and, with their parents' permissions, tell them that where they are going, they can be brats as long as it is safe. Come up with a code word for "That's not safe". Then take them down to the repair place and tell them you'll wait. This has worked with several women I know.

That's an awesome idea. And I noticed when I was in there one worker was smoking. We'll have to put a stop to that as we can't be polluting the lungs of these little angels. I wonder what my daughter will say when I propose we use her boys, ages 3 and 6. The older one will have no problem getting in that smoker's face and pointing out the health risks associated with first- and second-hand smoke!

Probably not a good way to advance their social skills, though. Unsure

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

12-31-2013 11:09 PM
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

Many years ago my car was crashed by the mechanic taking it for a road test after a service. It took me three months to get it back, always with some excuse or other. The insurance company were bloody useless and didn't lift a finger to help me. The insurance claims manager was my father! He had some strange idea that if he offered me the same amount of support any customer should expect it would be nepotism. Needless to say I changed insurers after that. (I got a free loan car from the dealer who crashed mine, so it wasn't a total loss).

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

01-01-2014 01:32 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

This must be very frustrating for you. If possible, I'd use Paula's suggestion to put more pressure on them, but always be polite and nice (while the kids are making the office personnel pull their hair out). Too-funny

That said, getting anything done on schedule around Christmas/New Years can be an exercise in futility. Shipping delays, order fulfilment workers rushed to get packages sent out often make more mistakes. People do go on vacation during this time of year. And even when they're not on vacation, they really don't want to work at all, even though they're getting paid to work. It's amazing to me how folks think that just because it's December and their business is open and they are working - somehow their customers should expect less service during that time period. Christmas has been extended to a time period beginning before Thanksgiving and not ending until everyone "recovers" the 2nd week of January. I'm all for celebrating Christmas, but too many people use it as an excuse for not working or poor customer service. Now you know why many businesses simply shut down for a 2-week Christmas break - worker productivity plummets during that time period, so they might as well shut down.

In other words: Ba-humbug. Bigwink Too-funny

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-01-2014 12:12 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(01-01-2014 12:12 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  And even when they're not on vacation, they really don't want to work at all, even though they're getting paid to work.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
All play and no work makes Jack a happy boy

But you,re right, lots of businesses shut down the first couple weeks of January and lots people takes their annual leave at the same time as it coincide with schools holidays
01-01-2014 04:16 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10

Other Comments:

(01-01-2014 12:12 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  worker productivity plummets during that time period, so they might as well shut down.

I love this time of year - the office is closed so I can go in and get work done without constant interruptions. I do more in 4 or 5 hours this time of year than I normally do in a full day.

No phone, no emails, no managers, no health & safety BS.. I love it!

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

01-02-2014 03:32 AM