Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: Automobile Collision Repair
The cultural shift in work ethic during the holidays is probably due to several factors. The days are shorter, so we need the holiday season to brighten things up. No surprise there. Of course, I don't know what southern hemisphere folks do to brighten up their shortest days.

School's out, so that shifts the whole family dynamic, too.

Throw in the natural tendency for all of us to have fun, and this is the mix we get.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-03-2014 12:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Picked up my car today. They told me on Tuesday that everything had been done, and the car is ready to go, but it needs to be sent out for a wheel alignment. Then a clean up and it's ready to go. Since everything was closed Wednesday (New Year's Day) all this was scheduled to take place Thursday, which is today.

I couldn't reach them by phone, which happens a lot, so I just had my daughter drive me there. We got there around 1:00 pm, I think. They were just getting ready to send it for alignment, and of course I was relieved to see the car all in one piece again, with the smashed fender, hood, and bumper all repaired and painted.

So, we went to lunch and came back. It had just gotten back from the alignment shop, but the air bag and steering wheel assembly was not installed! When I pointed out that they had misinformed me, they didn't bat an eye. A five or ten minute job, they said. I sent my daughter off, took out my book, and settled into the waiting room. This was about 3:00 pm. At 5:00 they told me it was ready, but that I would have to take it to a dealership to have the error codes cleared. I said I wanted a test drive before paying my $500 deductible. They sent an employee with me. The steering wheel was crooked by almost 90 degrees and made a dragging noise when turned.

They took it apart, put it back together, and now it was crooked by only about 30 degrees.

The mechanic had gone home, and I told them that I would not be able to come back tomorrow, so they called the mechanic back in, he got it almost straight, but now new error codes were appearing, accompanied by a dinging bell warning that the passenger side air bag was off. They took the steering wheel off again, made a phone call, found out there were alignment marks designed to be used to get the steering wheel straight. Messed around with their computer trying to clear the codes but the car is a 2012 and their computer was running software from 2011, which is why they told me in the first place that I'd have to take the car to a dealership.

It was 8:00 before I got out of there.

My confidence in my ability to judge competence has been eroded. Looking around that shop and talking to the people gives me the impression that it's a busy place doing lots of business. To me, that equates to competence. At least it used to.

The woman who manages the place is just a poor soul with a life-long sob story. No malice intended, just a less-than-incompetent manager managing less-than-incompetent employees.

I believe there's a Yiddish word for this type of person. A nebbish. I'm told by people of that culture and faith that the word is difficult to translate, but it carries with it the notion that this is a person deserving of our sympathy. We would do well to realize that there, but for the grace of God, go we.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-03-2014 01:03 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

You are much more patient that I would be.

Quote:a less-than-incompetent manager managing less-than-incompetent employees

Sad state of affairs to see what many American businesses have become. We used to be a nation of craftsmen, inventors, artisans, masters of ethical trade and quality service... today... well, not even close. Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-03-2014 11:42 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

I would document everything and recheck what I documented and send it to the insurance company with a statement that you are not happy with the outcome. I would then ask the insurance company to see if you could send the vehicle to another mechanic/dealership to verify it was done correctly. I would then ask the insurance company to refund you the deductible. Worse they can say is no. We had a minor foul up when we had some work done on my wife's car when it was broken into. Our insurance company picked up the extra day's rental and waived the deductible.
01-03-2014 02:29 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

We had our own insurance company cheat us and are in the process of reporting them to the insurance board.
01-03-2014 03:04 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(01-03-2014 11:42 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Sad state of affairs to see what many American businesses have become.

An additional consequence is that we are paying for their incompetence! The insurance company is going to pay another shop to finish the repairs, which means they are paying twice for the same repair. That cost is passed on to us in the form of higher premiums.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-04-2014 12:41 AM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(01-03-2014 02:29 PM)psimpson130 Wrote:  I would document everything and recheck what I documented and send it to the insurance company with a statement that you are not happy with the outcome.

The insurance company is already well-informed of the situation. Today they told me that they will send a technician out to my home to fix the air bag sensors and clear the codes in the car's computer. They've already paid the original repair shop to perform this task, and now they have to pay this technician to perform the same work. Some kind of new rule, fix once pay twice?

I will be getting my deductible back from the other driver's insurance company. Subrogation is what they call it.

I will be sending that letter documenting everything to my insurance company, the state agency that regulates insurance, the state agency that regulates banking, and the Better Business Bureau. I'll be asking for the repair shop to pay for the cost to rent a car comparable to my car for every day beyond the 30 days of rental car coverage, plus the difference between the cost to rent the comparable car and cost of the actual rental car for the days after the date that the repairs were scheduled to be completed.

Suppose for example it would cost $75 a day to rent a car comparable to mine. The insurance company paid $35 a day for the rental car through Dec 26, and I got my car back on Jan 2. That's 7 days times $75, or $525. The car was supposed to be finished on Dec 20, and I returned the rental car on Dec 28. So for those 8 days I had to drive a $35-a-day car instead of my $75-dollar-a-day car. $40 times 8 is $320.

$525 + $320 = $845.

I won't get the money from the repair shop of course, but that means my complaint with the BBB will have the status of unresolved. And that's my revenge.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-04-2014 01:05 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

(01-03-2014 11:42 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  You are much more patient that I would be.

What's the alternative? Get all upset and angry and quarrel with the nebbish? That gets me nothing and has a negative impact on my own well-being. I won't give them the satisfaction of doing that to me.

I've already spent too much of my life getting angry about things.

I was taught by a therapist that I can choose my own emotional response. Anger, confusion, frustration, disappointment. Of those four, the first is the most damaging to me. By avoiding it I further my own cause. A purely selfish stance.

Plus, just think about how often anger is followed by shame and embarrassment. There are better ways for us to spend our time on this Earth.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-04-2014 01:12 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(01-04-2014 01:12 AM)Sleepster Wrote:  Plus, just think about how often anger is followed by shame and embarrassment. There are better ways for us to spend our time on this Earth.

Very good wisdom there, Sleepster. Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-04-2014 11:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

The technician came to my home Tuesday and was able to clear some of the error codes on the car's computer, but it's reporting a faulty impact sensor and seat belt sensor. These sensors trigger the air bag's deployment in an accident.

After talking to the insurance company's adjuster he recommended a repair shop near my home that's affiliated with the insurance company, so I stopped by there after work on Wednesday. I got a call back from their them today, they are ordering the sensors and will be doing the repair work next week. Meanwhile I'm driving a car that's not as safe as it was designed to be.

He told me that he easily found on Honda's technical website calls for mandatory replacement of these sensors any time the air bag is deployed in collision. The paper work from the original repair shop shows that they never replaced these sensors. And the replacement bumper that they installed will now have to be removed to gain access to the impact sensors.

How lame! Or as Lenny would say, "Lame-oh!"

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

01-10-2014 03:02 PM