Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Autoset feature help [new user settings]
Autoset feature help
I am looking for info on the autoset option for a male? My set pressure is 16 but seems to high. Epr is 3 still wake up hard to breath out. And heart rate  up from resting rate , have to take mask off and breath slowly sitting up and then restart from ramp 4 in the mornig ?  Just would like to know if autoset option will help me in any way  this happens every morning and is very scary like a panic to take it off,   No one even my cpap doctor just tells me to take it off when this occurs???  Got to be a better answer than that  when this happens it takes 10 mins to recover to normal breathi g and heart rate back to  60 bpm. Help,,,!!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Autoset feature help
Hello Samyge383

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a section in the Wiki on CPAP set up manuals from which you can glean a lot of information on your machine. May I ask if you have the Resmed Autoset(APAP) or the Resmed Elite 10(CPAP). It does not say in your spec details but I am guessing it must be the Autoset as you are asking about it.

Your experience is similar to my pressure when I started initially. My titrated pressure was 16.8 cmH2O and I was advised to have EPR at 3 to help with breathing out. Like you, breathing out against 16 was very difficult using the full face mask as that was a lot of air against my face. It really disrupted my sleep and I kept taking off the mask to get back to 4 like you. This severe sleep disruption was no good for any rest at all.

I was advised to change to a higher starting pressure as 4 was considered too low for an adult and might cause events. So I changed to 6 initially but still with EPR 3. As I could not get used to the full face mask, I changed over to nasal pillows which helped tremendously but all of us are different as to what would suit us.

The best way to get help here is by downloading the free software Sleepyhead, if you haven't already, and publish information here. There are many many knowledgeable members who would be able to help you dial into numbers best suited to yourself.

The other useful thing is to upload your sleep study results. That starting point together with Sleepyhead data would prove useful in your journey.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, we can and will help you.  Why the sleepyhead posts?  Because it tells us what is going on in some detail and having data helps us to better advise you.  

the answer to your pressure issues is usually to lower it, at least temporarily.  It would help if you posted your daily charts from Sleepyhead.  How to download, Organize (Important because some charts are more important than others.) and attach your screenshot, is all in my signature.

Most of us have had some trouble with that elephant strapped to your face.

Posting your sleep study, the detail in addition to the summary, would help too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Samyge383, and welcome to Apnea Board. I can only offer the same as others right now. We'll need to see the proper device model info, get Sleepyhead installed, then post the chart.

I can say your experience with CPAP is quite common. I dealt with some of the same things as you when starting. It does not help when you're not prepared or educated properly by the doctor that is supposed to assist in that education. We are here to take up some of that slack. Best regards and if you need help providing what we're asking for, feel free to ask it. Be sure in a short order, you'll be an old pro at this seemingly overwhelming CPAP therapy.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Autoset feature help
Hi all, tnx for tips .  More info from me may help you that may be able to answer my questions. My machine is an resmed 10 auto set. It does have the auto set option in the menu,  therapy is currently set to cpap. Below is autoset.  I wanted to know if auto set would be better for me than cpap set at 16 pressure.  The 1rst post was about my having waking up 2, 3 times  at 4 am hard to breath out and heart rate  near 90 and feeling hot. I would have to take mask off and sit up to recover normal breathing, and return to resting heartrate. Very scary! This type of thing will occur 2,3 times a night. Last night  i changed ramp to auto, and saw epr set to 3. In the past when i would wake up the machine was blowing at what i would describe as hurricane force and have to pull the mask off, then force myself to cough to exhale. My cpap doc told me to do this when i would wake up with this problem.  The forced cough does help, dont know why!  Sometimes i will restart with mask, but other times i would not restart and just lay in bed awake till time to get up,  I  was told the auroset option would auto adjust to my needed pressure to keep airway open, but is this safe to try, doc says my pressure needs to be 16??  My doc is not very helpful with my questions and she told me when this happens to just remove mask ,and cough?.  I AM now getting to the point of just feeling afraid to even use this, knowing this scary stuff is going to happen every night,,  wen i first started with cpap. All was good for a year, and then all these problems started out of the blue  i am 64 years old weight 265, so i know i have to continue with machine,  some type of fix has to be out there but my doc just does not know what changes to make.   Any tips will help. Thanks to all. Samyg383
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Samyge383,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

It could very well be that you would do better in Auto mode, but it’s hard to say without seeing data.

A pressure of 16cm is pretty high to be set at constantly, and you may not “need” that high pressure all through the night.

Are you using #SleepyHead software? We would like to help and answer your questions if you could post a screenshot of your data here.

If you are able, download #SleepyHead and then follow the links below in my signature line. Pay attention to the organization of graphs.

It would be nice if we could depend on our doctors to help, but unfortunately this seems to be the norm. They either don’t have the knowledge or the time to help optimize your therapy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Samyg383
I have been on CPAP for 7 years and thanks to this board I have the lowest events in 7 years. Please download sleepyhead and post the charts. These wonderful people will help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would set it to AUTO, with a pressure of 8 and leave the maximum at 16 and also turn on EPR (Expiry Relief) to help you breath out.
After you get some data from Sleepyhead it should be a lot easier to give you some better advice.
Is there some reason it was set to CPAP?  Strange to have a Autoset and set it to CPAP.
You can set the EPR to 1 to 3 depending on what you feel more comfortable with, the lesser the number is usually better, however, without data or your sleep study data it is like a shot in the dark.

I would set it to AUTO and see how it goes, much more comfortable and the machine will respond to your needs.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2018, 10:29 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Is there some reason it was set to CPAP?  Strange to have a Autoset and set it to CPAP.

Actually, not so strange. When I moved up from a brick to the airsense 10 autoset my doc presribed a CPAP setting of 10 and was amused but agreeable when I proposed going to autoset with a range of 9-14. I never had much confidence in him. I have a friend who sees a different doc. who was just diagnosed and given an autoset with a constant CPAP pressure. With the help of the forum and using autoset I got my AHI down from 4-11 to under consistently. Sammyge383, get Sleepy
head if you can and follow the advice you've been given.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 492 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 124 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
Smile [CPAP] Hello, newish user trying to get settings dialed in. RustyOs 0 248 02-11-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: RustyOs
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 476 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  New User Trying To Set Up CPAP Settings SleepLighter 5 426 01-13-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.