Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Avalon Aire Super Delux Chin Strap
Avalon Aire Super Delux Chin Strap
This is a white, latex-free, soft elastic strap that is 3 inches wide and attaches with hook and loop end patches. You just center it under your chin and pull it up around to the top of your head and lay the hooks over the loop area. It takes a few adjustments to learn the most perfect tension for your comfort and effectiveness. Two 1 inch stabilizer straps came with it that can be used across the back of your head and across the forehead if you choose. I don't use those and have no trouble keeping it in place during the night. This is a totally effective strap. It WILL keep your mouth in positionSmile  it is not uncomfortable, however it is intense, in that it is snug around your head and thick and warm. I am using it now but have tried other types to see if I can find a five star strap which would be effective, soft, light and cool. The PaPcap (reviewed in another thread) came close but totally reseated itself over my eyes during sleep so I went back to the Avalon Aire. I am happy using this one because it is so effective, but will always be interested in other options. Maybe there is a 5 star chinstrap for me.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Avalon Aire Super Delux Chin Strap
Do you use this chin strap to stop lip leaking or to stop mouth leaking/opening? How do you think it will be this summer, with it being so warm?

(I agree about the PapCap, sadly. Works great IF it is in place.)
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for reviewing this, MobileBassett!
I've also used this same strap, to keep my mouth from dropping open, i.e., to stop mouth breathing. It works better than almost anything else I've tried because it doesn't force my jaw backwards or forwards, only pulls it up to keep the jaw from dropping down. Other straps I've tried seem to want to force my lower jaw to move laterally, rather than vertically.

It can be uncomfortable in that it covers my ears, and pins them back very tight against my head, sometimes results in pinching and reddening. It does lower noise to have the ears covered, but if they start to itch, it's annoying. It's less annoying in winter as it also keeps ears warmer.

Some versions of it that I've bought over the years also are too wide, and sometimes I've cut maybe a half inch off one edge. One version I bought recently is narrower, but also has an almost knife-like edge on one side so have to be careful to put that edge away from my neck as it would cut into the skin.

I've also almost never used the 2 straps for across the forehead and around the back of the head.

Past 6 weeks or so have switched mostly to the Ruby adjustable, which is softer on the skin and keeps the ears free. But I keep the Avalon Aire around as a backup in case I detect that I'm starting to have mouth leaks again. It's rather like a straight-jacket for my jaw!

Post Reply Post Reply
That's good to know! Thanks for the reviews!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2015, 01:36 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Do you use this chin strap to stop lip leaking or to stop mouth leaking/opening? How do you think it will be this summer, with it being so warm?

I use this strap for both. I wear it pretty snug to help my tongue stay against the roof of my mouth.

Since I live in Florida it's already summerSmile My AC works well so I can sleep with a comfortable temperature but if that was not the case this strap would be more of a problem. Then I might work harder to try to modify the PAPcap.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2015, 05:09 PM)AirSign Wrote: It's rather like a straight-jacket for my jaw!

Excellent characterization!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started using a Respironics Premium III chinstrap on Tuesday night. Brought my LL from 40-60% over redline (24l/min) to under 15% Tuesday, under 9% last night.

I will give it a week or so and start a new thread.

Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply
Update after 3 months.
It is interesting how we can become accustomed to awkwardness! I am now totally used to this strap and have adjusted its tightness to the perfect comfort level. It is 100% effective for me and has come to represent leak free sleeping. I wouldn't think of going without it - just like the XPAP. I'm going to take a look at ginzo's Premium III.
Post Reply Post Reply
Night 3 a success! I'm using the P-10 nasal pillow (med). So far I have put the strap on 1st, then the headgear, so if I have any issue, I can readjust the mask without removing the strap. (you can use it over or under).

Tonight starts a 3 night test with the FX headgear.

I don't care how I look, I like it, and my tiny morning headaches are gone. I'm glad the tech gave me this one, I think it was a good choice on her part because you could go nuts looking for the "right" one.

I am in FL also, same a/c as you, so being warm not an issue for me either. I just put it on the 1st day, but really sat down the 2nd night and adjusted it until it almost felt like it wasn't there. I may have to make a tiny bit more adjustment, but then I just slip it off in the morning so I don't change the adjustment.

The big test will be longevity now. Will it make it the time period allowed by insurance before replacement?

Will definitely start a new thread after this 2nd 3 day test period.

Chuck

(08-14-2015, 07:44 AM)MobileBasset Wrote: Update after 3 months.
It is interesting how we can become accustomed to awkwardness! I am now totally used to this strap and have adjusted its tightness to the perfect comfort level. It is 100% effective for me and has come to represent leak free sleeping. I wouldn't think of going without it - just like the XPAP. I'm going to take a look at ginzo's Premium III.

Post Reply Post Reply
I bought this chin strap for reasons that I will not divulge yet for fear of reprisals from the cult. Dielaughing Just kidding folks. Recently I have had a problem with dry mouth with my full face mask. I was able back a while ago to train my tongue to close off my mouth well enough that with the FFM and a fairly high humidity setting I resolved the dry mouth. Suddenly, in the last several weeks, I have been having trouble with dry mouth and the steps that took earlier to train my tongue did not seem to be working. I had decided earlier to wait until cooler weather to try the Avalon Aire. Once I had eliminated a number of other potential causes, I became sure that it was mouth leakage that was causing my problem.

I have tried a number of chin straps in the past and none of them worked. Some would not stay on my head all night long and the ones that would stay on would not stop my mouth leaking even when cranked down tight. So I had given up on chin straps.

I only have about 3 nights on the Avalon Aire but it stopped my dry mouth and apparent mouth leaking from the first night and I am slowly moving my humidifier setting down. I was afraid that this chin strap might make me sweat more in our very sweaty weather but it has not.

The cost was only nine dollars plus shipping and tax.

Like:
*The fact that it comes with straps that can be used to keep it in position.
*It keeps my mouth closed and leaks from occurring without a lot of tension
*It seems to help to keep my tongue positioned properly.
*It does not make me sweat more than normal even in hot humid weather.

Dislikes:

I haven't found any yet.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Respironics Premium Chin Strap III ginzo 5 6,762 09-16-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Product Review] Ultimate chin strap Walla Walla 6 5,870 02-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Last Post: MitchS
Thumbsup [Product Review] PAD A CHEEK Original (face mask strap pads) richb 5 3,705 09-21-2018, 11:54 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  [Product Review] Carefusion ruby chin strap bryank1 3 6,349 08-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Last Post: big_dave
  [Product Review] Carefushion chin strap me50 9 7,601 12-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Product Review] Chin Straps [ResMed "Chin Restraint"] Bompa 3 7,422 06-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeteW5

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.