Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Avamere skilled nursing
Angry 
My mother fell and broke both humeri Thursday. She's in Avamere's skilled nursing center, She can't move either arm from the elbow up, and that means she can't stand up. normally she uses bars. Can't feed herself, or pretty much anything else.

Avamere is supposed to assist her with all the things a body needs and provide her with rehabilitative services to see if she can be strengthened enough to stand up and walk without walkers, canes, etc (shut the barn door after the horses got out... gotta love the health care system...)

The Nurses seem to be knowledgeable, and the PT/OT staff as well, but most of the care is done by aides and/or kitchen staff. The food at this place is beyond awful! It doesn't help that my mom is a vegetarian, but they either give her meat, or nothing. She is also a diabetic. They leave her hungry, and then give her dessert and her blood sugars have been ~500 to ~600. The aides, leave her with both her water and her call bell out of reach and then ignore her for hours and hours sitting in a wheel chair she can't get out of and isn't comfortable in. Sad

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
oh, and they don't come brush her teeth or bathe her!!! I told her she needs to demand it... but she hates being demanding (well until she gets pissed, and then all hell breaks loose... typical redhead Wink )

Post Reply Post Reply
Reading your posts makes me feel angry and sad.

I'm praying your mom has lots of family members to help out. From experience, someone needs to be there when she receives
physical therapy, or she may not get what she needs to gain her mobility again.

Stay strong!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

How to Organize and Post ScreenShots

http://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Difficult situation. You say they re "supposed" to help with bathing, feeding. teeth cleanng, etc. If it is in writhing, enforce it by asking them to produce records of the tasks. Especially rehabilitative services. If they are not performing according to the contract, let them know you know how to lodge a complaint at The Oregon Office of Licensing and Regulatory Oversight. Mostly you need to be an advocate for a passive patient. You can take a progressive approach to getting cooperation, but eventually you may need to take the nuclear option of getting regulatory protections, insurance or a move to a different facility. If services are being invoiced to insurance or medicare they should be performed.

Get durable power of attorney from your mom. You can have this drafted by a lawyer then, assuming she is on board with you having this authority, you may see medical records, including records of care and lodge formal complaints on her behalf. A living will might also be a timely discussion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Daria, you will have to be her advocate.
Perhaps getting tough with them will move them.
Like, informing them that you will be reviewing here blood glucose readings; and if they are not to acceptable practice, licenses will be suspended or revoked.

Given the neglect you describe, this sounds like criminal neglect.

I wish I knew whom to call. Does she have doctors who can visit her in the home?
I know my doctor visits people who have been his patient when they go into a home. And they would be raising heck with a neglectful staff.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
she's had visits by drs. I have been there every day telling them what to do. but they dont do anything if I am not there, and I *can't* be there all the time. My mom has her mental facilities, so does not *have* to be a passive patient. She hates being the center of attention, and is a geeky loner engineer type. I do intend to lodge some complaints - that is for certain! I have told them I will. (after the 4th time they left her for hours unattended) I am not shy and have been there every day. they know the drill, are polite, do it while you are there, and then go back to their old ways when you are not. ugh!

Post Reply Post Reply

Your mom was an engineer too. I assume with her arms disabled she cannot test her blood glucose. Nor, inject insulin.
Post Reply Post Reply
The nursing home / rehab facility is likely licensed by your state and/or federal government. They may have various accreditations, too, which could be at risk for failing to perform as advertised.

I'd start with the state licensure first (in Ohio, we have surveyors that go to each facility to review it and make sure it is functioning according to law).

If necessary, get your state's attorney general to intervene. Technically, they are defrauding the insurance company by billing for services NOT being rendered.

Please organize your SleeyHead screenshots like this.
I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
You want me to PM my contact at the FBI?
(Yes, he's on my speed dial)
Post Reply Post Reply

oooh that would be sick Big Grin in the new sense, that is... of "ultracool" to have an FBI investigation into the care provided! I need to make time between work and visiting to make some phone calls. I think the first is to Kaiser member services, since that is her health plan!

re:engineer.... yup. the real deal. former genius rocket scientist - still has a sharp mind. You correctly state that she cannot test blood or inject. Can't feed herself, nor perform any other personal tasks. It is a humbling experience, and to add lousy care to it is a terrible burden!!!

Post Reply Post Reply