Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Avaps
Avaps
Are there any machine AVAPS that are notBipap. My doctor prescribed me an Avaps for Epap machine that is supposed to be less expensive than a Repironics™.My supplier submits a Bipap Avaps by Philips at 4300 Ca. $. That is three times the Respironics™price.

Even there, my doctor find the Respironics™ is a too high performing machine for my needs.

Where is the confusion? 
Any suggestions?

Thanks. 

Robert
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Avaps
Let's talk about your needs. AVAPS is an Average Volume Assured Pressure Support non-invasive ventilator. It is inherently bilevel (separate IPAP and EPAP pressure) because that is the definition of pressure support. All machines marketed as AVAPS have a backup rate to maintain respiration rate. You can improve and and augment ventilation using any bilevel machine if you don't need the backup rate, and especially if you monitor SpO2 or feed a supplemental O2 to the ventilator circuit.

AVAPS is an older version of iVAPS which is intelligent volume assure pressure support and offers varying pressure support on a breath by breath basis. As far as cost, all machines, even advanced bilevel can be obtained at a significant discount unless insurance is paying a provider in-network. There are used and gray market machines.

Let's talk a little more why you need AVAPS, iVAPS or ST bilevel and maybe we can help you to understand the options better. These are typically needed for respiratory insufficiency related to severe COPD, neuromuscular disorders, obesity hypoventilation and a few other serious pulmonary impairments.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you.

The prescription is AVAPS : premier Variable for Epap

Auto: 11-15
Epap fixed at 11mH20
Ipap Max : 15 mH20

That is all I can say about. But I join the Sleepy Head report from June 6 to august 20th.

Hope it will answer your request.

Warm regards

Robert
Post Reply Post Reply
Patro, any bilevel can achieve the settings of your prescription. I would suggest the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto as a a bilevel machine capable of auto-titration, that can provide the pressure support of 4.0 cm in your prescription, and can be set to VPAP-S mode at 15 IPAP and 11 EPAP. Auto mode can be invoked at any time, and the Easy Breathe algorithm that shapes the pressure changes is much more comfortable than the "square-wave" form of most AVAPS machines. Are you sure the prescription is not in error and intended to say VPAP? I don't see a specified backup rate which is the distinguishing characteristic of advanced bilevel.

Your Sleepyhead summary data shows you have very fragmented therapy with numerous sessions every night. You share this in common with another member here, Sheepless. With a minimum pressure of 12 and maximum pressure of about 16, you have 2 to 4 central apnea per hour, and 3 to 6 obstructive apnea and hypopnea per hour for an average AHI of about 7 or 8 as an "eyeball estimate". I think that your doctor may be trying to resolve the hypopnea with pressure support. The proposed prescription will not resolve CA without a backup rate and higher pressure support, and the proposed EPAP pressure is less than your current APAP minimum pressure, so I don't think that will help with your current obstructive apnea rate.

Your prescription says AVAPS, but the prescribed settings don't.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks
You are perfectly right. The doctor's handwriting induce an interpretation error. The equivalent in English was stop the AVAPS.

Regards and thanks for all the informations
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us know if we can help in any way. I think one of your biggest challenges is the fragmentation of your sleep and therapy into multiple sessions. This can be a very difficult problem to overcome, and will continue to leave you feeling unrested until you can put together a normal extended sleep pattern.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Indeed,

and thank you very much for your comments. 

We will see in a few months the progress on that matter, and I will let you know if I found a solution.

Warm regards.

Robert
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Second night with my new AVAPS machine Sleepy Willy 0 447 11-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  Need help with settings switching from Dreamstation AVAPS to ResMed ST-A LookingForward 3 823 09-20-2021, 05:59 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed ST-A vs Philips BiPap AVAPS LookingForward 9 1,153 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: LookingForward
  Alarms on Dreamstation BiPap AVAPS going off at night LookingForward 1 989 01-12-2021, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What is a Dreamstation BIPAP AVAPS?? Who needs one? racprops 10 1,494 10-10-2020, 02:17 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] BiPAP AVAPS vs. ST KuriApollo 35 4,656 08-14-2020, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Need help with Philips Respironics BiPAP AVAPS Matt00926 29 4,139 04-18-2019, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Matt00926

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.