Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Average AHI vs episodes
Average AHI vs episodes
Hi,
I know we strive for an AHI less than 5, is that the average for the night?

Both Rescan and Sleepy are showing a nighttime AHI between 2-5 every night (down from 22), but when I look at the detailed, the majority of the night I'm event free now, but around 2 and again at 4 I have clusters of 10-15 OSA episodes that last 7-28 seconds all within about 5 minutes. Do I need to be concerned or run to my doc?

I'm on a resumed air sense 10 with an amara view mask with pressures 6- 14, and it stays at 14 during the episodes.

Thank,
Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Average AHI vs episodes
The data is telling you that the pressure would go higher if it could during that period of the night. I would try raising the top setting a little to see. Maybe to 16 or 17 cm.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
This also might be positional sleep apnea.

If I turnover on my back during sleep, my OAs go way up, then the pressure on my BIPAP goes up to 20 to compensate, and I'm still having OAs.
My solution is to not sleep on my back.

S
Post Reply Post Reply
And BTW: AHI is an average. It's the average number of apnea + hypoapnea events during your sleep period.
If the night's AHI is 5 and you slept 5 hours, then on average you had 1 event per hour.
But, you could have had 5 events in a very short period of time.

As MobileBasset said, a bit more top end pressure might quash these clusters.

I would guess you are experiencing clusters of apneas during REM sleep; and this is not uncommon.

You may wish to discuss it with your doctor; but I would not worry about it.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2015, 06:46 PM)swwalden1 Wrote: This also might be positional sleep apnea.

If I turnover on my back during sleep, my OAs go way up, then the pressure on my BIPAP goes up to 20 to compensate, and I'm still having OAs.
My solution is to not sleep on my back.

S

That statement is not consistent with your profile's pressure.
Your profile indicates a max IPAP of 12.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2015, 05:06 PM)Let Me Sleep Wrote: Hi,
I know we strive for an AHI less than 5, is that the average for the night?

Both Rescan and Sleepy are showing a nighttime AHI between 2-5 every night (down from 22), but when I look at the detailed, the majority of the night I'm event free now, but around 2 and again at 4 I have clusters of 10-15 OSA episodes that last 7-28 seconds all within about 5 minutes. Do I need to be concerned or run to my doc?

I'm on a resumed air sense 10 with an amara view mask with pressures 6- 14, and it stays at 14 during the episodes.

Thank,
Mike

First, I don't think it's very unusual. Most of us have our major events during REM sleep and longer REM sleep appears to occur for many from 2-5 a.m. Certainly, the majority of my events are during that time period including the RERAs.

In the absence of other health problems, I think bumping up the top pressure would be a first step. I bumped mine up .25 cm and left it for a week. Then tried it a second time and that cleared the clusters without other issues. My sleep center gave me a guideline. If I need to raise it above 12, they want to hear about it, but I have a heart issue rather than just mild apnea. Also, when we had a lot of stuff in the air from the fires out west, I was often hitting the 12. Now that it's cleared from the rain, I'm back down to a max of 11.25 or so. So, keep in mind that current air quality can affect your numbers briefly. Another reason for slow changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2015, 06:57 PM)justMongo Wrote: AHI is an average. It's the average number of apnea + hypoapnea events during your sleep period.
If the night's AHI is 5 and you slept 5 hours, then on average you had 1 event per hour.

The AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index) is a per hour average. If someone's AHI is 5, that means they had, on average, 5 events per hour. And if they slept for 5 hours, then they had a total of 25 events for that sleep period.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2015, 01:04 AM)kaiasgram Wrote:
(08-23-2015, 06:57 PM)justMongo Wrote: AHI is an average. It's the average number of apnea + hypoapnea events during your sleep period.

The AHI (Apnea Hypopnea Index) is a per hour average. If someone's AHI is 5, that means they had, on average, 5 events per hour. And if they slept for 5 hours, then they had a total of 25 events for that sleep period.

You are correct. Senior moment for me.
AHI = 1/hours * Σ (Apneas +Hypos)
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2015, 06:57 PM)justMongo Wrote: And BTW: AHI is an average. It's the average number of apnea + hypoapnea events during your sleep period.
But, you could have had 5 events in a very short period of time.

Mongo,

Have you been sleeping OK?? Smile

If the night's AHI is 5 and you have slept for 5 hours, it means that you have had 5 events per hour or 25 total events for the 5 hours that you slept. It could also mean that you had 25 events in 30 minutes and no other events for 4.5 hours.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Rub it in Payton! I grew up in the OC; and we'll take your Avatar hostage!
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 574 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  AHI total average vs true AHI graphed hourly average Jessher 9 710 10-23-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Average leak readings Weegie 2 1,444 02-20-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Average SpO2 Tryingtobebetter10 2 636 08-06-2022, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Tryingtobebetter10
  CSR Episodes txrpls 5 718 05-15-2022, 09:55 PM
Last Post: StevesSp
  [Diagnosis] Average AHI last month of 19.6 - WTF? okniswand 17 1,607 11-25-2021, 03:00 PM
Last Post: hillybilly bear
  What pressure would the average Joe have if hooked up to APAP chris94546 3 707 05-26-2021, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.