Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Average Total Leaks Seems High
Average Total Leaks Seems High
I have a Philips Respironics, System One RemStar Auto with A-Flex and have been using it for several weeks. I also use an Ultra mirage full-face mask. Sleepy Head software is showing an Average Total Leak level of 42=43 every night. Is this due to the mask vent? My AHI is running .85 to 1.1 so I don't think I really have a problem. I just was looking for some kind of explanation. I have been using CPAP for more than 15 years and have tried almost every machine and mask combination out there. I think I would know if I was having a problem! I just tried the A9 and DeVilbiss autos over the last month and settled on the RemStar. My old RemStar has 29,000 hours on it and I am a RemStar fan! Any info on the Total Leaks story would be appreciated and if I can help with any questions about comparisons of the machines I would be happy to give my two cents worth. Love this site!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Average Total Leaks Seems High
Hi thebrez1,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-01-2013, 09:40 PM)thebrez1 Wrote: I have a Philips Respironics, System One RemStar Auto with A-Flex and have been using it for several weeks. I also use an Ultra mirage full-face mask. Sleepy Head software is showing an Average Total Leak level of 42=43 every night. Is this due to the mask vent?

Hi thebrez1,

Yes, it's due to the mask vent. The total leak is a combination of the intentional leak (venting) and unintentional leak. According to the chart provided by ResMed for the intentional leak rate for the Ultra Mirage you are doing extremely well leak-wise. Here is the manual for the Ultra Mirage with the intentional leak rate chart (intentional leak increases with treatment pressure increase).

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the info. I have been using a CPAP for so long I almost know intuitively when I am having a problem. I run 12.5 to 20 on auto, but seldom hit 18. 16 is about normal so the leak rate is right on the money. I do not use ramp, C-Flex, A-Flex or any of the other bells and whistles. I just strap it on an go to sleep! I literally cannot sleep without the CPAP. I travel extensively so I need a durable machine; it is the first thing I unpack. I even set up a 250 watt solar panel and two 125 amp batteries so I always have a plan B. Like I said, I CAN NOT sleep without it. 27 hours on a plane from China awake because the airline did not put in my power station!

For all the "newbies" out there, have patience and USE YOUR MACHINE! Don't take it off, don't use it "sometimes" and don't make excuses! USE IT! You WILL get used to it and find what works for you. "My CPAP is my friend. There are many like it, but this one is mine"
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 282 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 694 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 135 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.