Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Avoiding Naps Helpful?
Avoiding Naps Helpful?
It was suggested to me that I avoid all napping to improve sleep quality and reduce time to fall asleep.  Have any of you reduced or eliminated napping which resulted in improved sleep?

I usually take a 10 minute nap mid morning and a 10 minute nap in the afternoon.  The naps seem helpful, but maybe I'm just addicted to napping.  Quiting naps is really tough!  I'm trying to stay busy and keep moving so I don't succumb to the urge.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Avoiding Naps Helpful?
From what I've read there's nothing wrong with taking a short nap. I also read that the nap should be limited to 20 minutes or less.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-24-2018, 10:37 AM)ronlecroy Wrote: It was suggested to me that I avoid all napping to improve sleep quality and reduce time to fall asleep.  Have any of you reduced or eliminated napping which resulted in improved sleep?

I usually take a 10 minute nap mid morning and a 10 minute nap in the afternoon.  The naps seem helpful, but maybe I'm just addicted to napping.  Quiting naps is really tough!  I'm trying to stay busy and keep moving so I don't succumb to the urge.

They don't want you to mess up your sleep cycle, and naps, especially longer naps, can do that.  But two ten minute naps may not be an issue.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-h...tful-sleep

Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never read that napping is harmful or disruptive unless two things:

a. they are long (one hour or longer); and

b. they take place after about 1600 hrs (4:00 PM for the 24 hour clock challenged).

Short 'cat naps' are almost always beneficial because they reset the brain's chemistry and allow you to be more productive.  Surely by now, those of us on this forum have learned that when they fight off sleepiness, it seems both persistent and interminable.  Even dangerous if we are doing something requiring attention and skill (driving).  But, if we accommodate ourselves, find a quiet place, close the office door, and have a short nap, we awaken revitalized and rarin' tuh go.

Sleep hygiene is a whole 'nuther topic, and for some of us, it's a subject we could do much better for ourselves learning and practicing scrupulously.  Don't look at computer screens past about 2100 hrs (9:00 PM).  Don't exercise after supper if it can be helped.  Keep a consistent bedtime and routine.  Same with rising...no sleeping in!!!

Did I mention aerobic exercise yet?  Every day, the earlier the better, about 30 minutes if you can.  Twenty is still fine.  Even a brisk walk will do a world of good.  It helps to flush the residuals from daily stress out of your system and helps you to rest clamly….as in....sleep better....sooner...longer.

Lastly, and it should go without saying....but deal constructively and forthrightly with your invasive issues....your problems.  Fix what you can, let go what you can't.  Putting things off for comfort will rob you of both self-respect and ...oh yeah... sleep!
Post Reply Post Reply
good post mesenteria. I'd add the suggestion that if you nap and it takes more than a few minutes to fall asleep at bedtime, you should try minimizing or cutting out naps. if falling asleep at bedtime is no problem, a 20-30 minute early afternoon nap can be very restorative, especially for those of us suffering from sleep deprivation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Less naps I take the more I wake up during the night and the harder I have to fall asleep. I sleep once 9-10 hours a night and take two 1-2h naps during the day. But then again my sleep has been ruined by a week of being on an antidepressant. 3 years later I still have issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
I vote in favor of the two short naps, most likely will have zero effect on your sleep at might unless they happen to come too close to bedtime.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of the folks that I worked with took 20-30 minute naps during their lunch break (which was 1 hour). Otherwise, they were unable to think in the afternoon. You take 'em if you need 'em and if you are able. I disagree that naps interfere with sleep unless you are napping shortly before bed. They are the result of not getting enough sleep for whatever reason.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  ASV Not Helpful? itchy365 2 438 07-21-2023, 12:07 PM
Last Post: itchy365
  Afternoon Naps rkashyap 10 1,405 12-17-2021, 02:05 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [split] ResMed AirFit F30 - Helpful Tips Big Guy 34 6,305 05-03-2020, 07:02 PM
Last Post: freddyfl209
  AHI less than 2, but still tired when wake up in the morning. Feel good after naps. ChinaMan 14 3,600 12-09-2019, 11:00 PM
Last Post: SleepyTexasGirl
  Do naps count toward compliance? pinetree 9 2,380 08-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Brand New Diagnosis--Sleep Dr & staff NOT helpful PerChancetoDream 61 8,956 05-15-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: PerChancetoDream

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.