Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Awful camping experience with CPAP - HELP!
RE: Awful camping experience with CPAP - HELP!
(02-03-2021, 08:30 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: With lead acid chemistry, batteries are very heavy. You have to move to lithium-ion to get power and lightweight.  A couple new entries in the market are very impressive for what they offer in terms of 12-volt output and capability for recharge from your alternator or solar power.  Either one gives enough power to run any CPAP on DC power  for multiple nights, and might make it through a night using the inverter they include.  Inverters are very very inefficient, so try not to do that.  Do your research and decide what capacity you need. If you avoid the inverter, the 60 watt solar recharger and standard battery packs will go a long way on either the Jackery or the Zero-Gravity power stations.  Both are under 6-lbs and the solar packs are under 8-lbs.  I'm on the edge for adding to the sailboat and motorcycle to replace less sophisticated units.

I have a Medistrom 12v Li-ion battery pack that came with the Devilbiss machine but it isn't big enough to run the Resmed machine for a whole night WITH HUMIDIFIER, at my settings. I now use it as a power pack to recharge my phone and tablet when camping.

I chose a lead acid battery principally on cost, because a good quality Li-ion battery with enough capacity to run the Autoset (inc Climateline tube and humidifier) for 2-3 nights (i.e. 130Ah) was very expensive.

As for Li-ion batteries generally, I am a little wary of 'cheap' packs, due to stories of poorly-made Li-ion batteries coming out of China, often branded to sound like they're made in the US or Europe. While Chinese manufacturers can make high quality batteries, no doubt, they are not universally so. Whereas a dodgy lead acid battery will just die, Li-ion batteries can burst into flames.
Post Reply Post Reply
The two units I suggested are specifically not Chinese. You know me better than that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2021, 09:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The two units I suggested are specifically not Chinese. You know me better than that.

I never doubted it! Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 615 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 422 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 105 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 628 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 545 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  [Treatment] Waking up worse despite multiple changes, life feels awful davigalindo 10 959 10-26-2023, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.