Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BAD HABIT
Thumbsdown 
BAD HABIT
I really don' know how to stop taking my mask off in my sleep! I have done it three times now and it was during different times in the night. In the morning, I will find my mask next to me.

The mask hasn't changed but I have switched to an ASV cpap machine. The pressure seems to be a lot more. On the cpap Resmed S9 auto set that I had, was usually at a pressure of 9. Now with the Resmed S9 ASV the pressure is set at 8/4 with Max at 10.

With the new set up, I have to wear ear plugs because the new bilevel cpap machine makes a whiring sound. But the mask farts are probably what makes me take off the mask during the night.

Dont-know, Kate

:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BAD HABIT
Kate, which brand and model FFM mask are you using?
Post Reply Post Reply
Time for a new mask, and time to turn on the high leak alarm as well.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Respironics Fitlife mask. Taught myself to sleep on my back, so I wouldn't bump it.

I have used it for about nine months without a problem. The reason that I started using it, is because I'm 64 and face dents last all day on old skin.
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
Peter,
That's a good idea. The leak alert will wake me up enough. The mask is a month old and my DME won't replace it for 2 more months.
Kate
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2014, 07:25 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Time for a new mask, and time to turn on the high leak alarm as well.

Leak alarm? First I've heard of it...Is that available on S9 Autoset / how to enable? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
As I do not have a S9, I do not know the steps to follow - but yes, all newer Resmed units have this feature - note, when you turn it on, the 'auto-start/stop' feature is turned off.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2014, 08:06 PM)Kate Wrote: Peter,
That's a good idea. The leak alert will wake me up enough. The mask is a month old and my DME won't replace it for 2 more months.
Kate

I totally don't hear my leak alert and I don't know why I don't. I hear it when I am up and awake but the volume is pretty low so I guess I ignore it as does everyone else. It is pretty quiet
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess that means I can't wear ear plugs if the leak alert is soft. I don't know why the ASV machine isn't quieter. They say it is but it really isn't.
Kate
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinking your taking the mask off could be caused by you not thinking you're getting enough air at times. My machine decided it would be nice to run at 7 for awhile instead of 12 or so. That woke me up more so than much of anything else would. I'd check with your sleep docs and ask about setting the mins and maxs up a little to see how you respond.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally fixed my habit of yanking the mask off but still not feeling great yet mw1655 4 965 11-13-2019, 02:17 PM
Last Post: WillSleep
  [Treatment] CPAP Habit forming? racprops 18 6,368 03-28-2017, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.