Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BEARD TREATMENT FOR CPAP
RE: BEARD TREATMENT FOR CPAP
Heck, I took care of my old-lady mustache by using the tape-the-mouth-to-prevent-leaks maneuver. Takes care of the problem while you sleep....
Post Reply Post Reply
I concur!  The best mask for a full beard is nasal pillows!  oldman  Hopefully you'll have better luck than I; every time I find a nasal mask I like, they quit making it after a couple of years.     Oh-jeez
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a full, trim beard. With either a Respironics Go travel APAP or a ResMed S9 APAP, the ResMed P10 pillows mask works fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a full beard and use the circadiance elan nasal mask and have been doing so for about 4 years after trying many other nasal masks, could never get use to nasal pillows. Very comfortable, molds to your face, no leak and pretty cost effective. Only caveat, watch the video on how to adjust it properly to fit  to prevent leaks if you go that route. GOOD LUCK.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a long flowing "wizard beard". I'm just beginning my cpap adventure. 

There are so many masks and my Dme is not close distance wise. I have to drive and hour. I get 30 days to exchange. 

This discussion could save me some time..

I have an Elon 2 nose mask. So far it's given me the best night sleep with the least amount of leaks (could be a mouth issue for me, still figuring it out) 

Any short list of good masks to look at :

I had my eye on the airtouch memory foam, I'd be out of pocket though on foam replacement so not sure I can swing the replacements. 

I also like the look of resmed 
p10 not sure about pillows? 

I have a dreamwear but it's seems really noisy and not stable when I move around concidering the "pillows" version might be better. I love the top hose position. 

I do have a simplus which I have not tried yet but alledgedly worked during my tritation study. 

Thanks, 

Anthony
Post Reply Post Reply
The key to using pillows IMHO is hose management.  The main CPAP hose is heavy enough to to move the pillows enough to cause major large leaks like this.  Simply attaching the main hose to your PJs or pillow so the movement occurs with the small hose solves this.  Mask was P10 here.  The advantage of pillows is that they are the smallest, most unobtrusive mask.  IMHO masks should be tried from the smallest most unobtrusive to the largest most obtrusive.  This means Pillows to nasal to full face masks.  The BEST mask though is the mask that works for you.   Read the Mask Primer, a lot of good hints in there.

Fred

I'll add, I do know a little something about beards  ;-)

[Image: ZJt66Bwl.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 46 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 278 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 196 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,006 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 579 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.