TorontoCPAPguy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S9 Autoset II
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro FFM
Humidifier: H5i; Control III Germicide
CPAP Pressure: 12-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50EW Oximeter; Everflo Q O2 Concentrator; O2 Analyzer; Climate Control Hose (winter)

Sex: Male

BEST EMAIL SOFTWARE?
Oh... I have a dilemna.

I am transferring my Outlook 97 from a Vista machine to a Windows 7 machine.

Is there any easy way to do it?

Also. I have had the bun with Outlook. Too cumbersome and a pain in the butt to use. I'd like to be able to do mailmerges, select contacts to email with a single mouseclick, etc.

Used to use Eudora but have not for years. I now see that Thunderbird is highly recommended but am not sure.

I want a painless transfer from one machine to another, from Vista to Win 7, and an easy import of everything including settings during the transfer. I cannot believe that a company like Microsoft does not provide a routine to export the whole shebang including settings to another machine. Go figure.

Anyway, what are you using and what do you recommend? I am very inclined right now to go with Thunderbird although have also been looking at Pegasus Mail. Thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2012 01:58 PM by TorontoCPAPguy.)
05-30-2012 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: BEST EMAIL SOFTWARE?
Thunderbird hands down. There is an import capability to go from Outlook to Thunderbird. I never looked into it because I've never used Outlook.

I have been using Thunderbird for, like, ever. Used to use Netscape when it was all in one then switched when they stopped upgrading. Had an older laptop that still ran it until it died (meaning the laptop).

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-30-2012 05:09 PM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Yep, I second the Thunderbird nomination. Super-dooper email client.

Big Grinnie

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

05-30-2012 06:24 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I use Outlook for my provider account. Then again, I don't really use my provider account. I use GMail. Providers come and go, I want something I don't have to change everytime someone ticks me off! About once a month...or 3....I download everything from my provider, delete all the spam and don't usually care about the rest! I tried using Thunderbird and totally did not care for it. But I have a very short attention span....oh look something bright and shiny.....um...what was I talking about? Oh...right...I found Thunderbird to be cumbersome after using Outlook. Just my 2 cents. Personally I am happy not even having non-HTTP email accounts. I don't even want to download the email. I want to scan it in bulk and delete or mark as spam what I don't care about and move on. Could be my own personal "Rage Against The Machine" since I have been a global network administrator for 15 years...no...wait....closer to 20, and have been int the it field for 30 years. I come home I don't want to do squat but use the computer! Just because I can does not mean I want to!

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
05-30-2012 06:29 PM
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

I use gmail for my personal (friends & family) emails and Thunderbird for all the JUNK! Cool

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-30-2012 09:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(05-30-2012 09:37 PM)bobg1946 Wrote:  I use gmail for my personal (friends & family) emails and Thunderbird for all the JUNK! Cool

Yep, for web-based email, can't beat Gmail. I had to pay for the upgraded version of Gmail last year for my apneaboard@gmail.com account - went WAY over Gmail's limit on storage and now I have to pay for the extra storage. I never delete my emails in Gmail, so it adds up fast. Probably going to have to go to the next paid tier level yet again in a month or two. I get 100+ emails every day, mostly manual requests, forum-related issues, or OSA type questions. Gmail has pretty good spam-fighting tools.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

05-30-2012 09:44 PM
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

I find that Bell mail is a good program. You have to be a Bell subscriber to use it, but it is a great E-mail program.

As to your data transfer..would putting your data on a removable drive than transferring it from ther work?
Good Luck!
05-31-2012 04:56 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
CHanlon Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Activa LT
Humidifier: ResMed Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 12 -20

Other Comments: Mirage Activa LT nasal mask

(05-31-2012 04:56 AM)Bompa Wrote:  I find that Bell mail is a good program. You have to be a Bell subscriber to use it, but it is a great E-mail program.

As to your data transfer..would putting your data on a removable drive than transferring it from ther work?
Good Luck!

Gah. I used to run an ISP - I wouldn't use Bell for anything. :-)

If you want something outlook-ish, for Win7, grab Windows Live Mail (google Windows Live Essentials and you can download it.) It's the "new" version of outlook express, which I've always found far more useful and friendly then Outlook (which is the "premium" client that comes with Office).

Or go to Thunderbird.

Personally, I just have gmail pop my ISP email account, and use both my ISP email and my gmail interchangeably... and that provides junk filtering for my ISP mail, too...
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2012 01:31 PM by CHanlon.)
05-31-2012 01:30 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I thought I saw a tech headline that said they were discontinuing Windoze Live?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

05-31-2012 01:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
CHanlon Offline

Advisory Members

Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Activa LT
Humidifier: ResMed Hi5
CPAP Pressure: 12 -20

Other Comments: Mirage Activa LT nasal mask

(05-31-2012 01:38 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  I thought I saw a tech headline that said they were discontinuing Windoze Live?

Only in name. "Windows Live Essentials" in Win 8 is going to become "Windows Messaging" and they're unifying the semi-unified products, ie, the mail client, the msn messenger client, etc.
05-31-2012 04:03 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Grin [News] Your CPAP can't help you with Email Apnea ApneaNews 5 795 01-04-2015 07:04 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [News] Yahoo Email hacked passwords - change your Yahoo email password SuperSleeper 3 3,204 07-12-2012 09:02 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper