Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BIG change in leaking status
BIG change in leaking status
For the last week, I have gone from 100% no leak mask nightly to 76%- 65%-57% leakage using the same masks I have used for 3 months with successful results. I am fighting leaks all night long, which is unusual for my last 3 months. I have about 3 masks and using all of them is the same problem. I can't find any leaks in the hose or hissing sound, the humidifier looks to be set OK, but I have wondered about the little flap located where the CO2 is released. I don't know how tight that should fit but wonder if this is the culprit?
I am trying to figure out why my sleep therapy has gone awry? Thank goodness my insurance compliance requirement has been met before all this started. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BIG change in leaking status
On a full-face there are two valves. One is for design intentional exhaust to prevent rebreathing. That should be fixed. The valve with a flap is an anti-asphyxiation valve designed to open on inhale when the machine fails to provide pressure. It should not exhaust at all.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If that little flap you mentioned is the little flap in the elbow, that is the anti-asphyxiation valve not the vent to prevent CO2 buildup. It would be a good idea to take the little flappy thing out including removing it from the rigid frame that holds it and then carefully re-installing it making sure that everything fits well and seats evenly in its frame. Then reinstall the frame in the elbow. Should be good to go.

Check the humidifier seals again and check to make sure the humidifier closure is closed completely.

That is about as far as I can take this since I am not familiar first hand with your equipment.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you think it is leaking because the machine says so, or because you can feel them? If only the latter, it is possible that a sensor in the machine is going bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's leaking because I fight it all night through the masks and not just one but all three masks which I have tried are the same leaking, where they worked perfectly before. That's why I was wondering about that elbow connection flapper. Also it is being recorded on my dreamstation data card dreammapper software from 100% fittings down to a low of 56% so my therapy is not being as beneficial. Last night I traded masks in the night and it came back to 86% for 5 hours of usage.

I also should investigate the headgear since I wasn't thinking about that loosening and do not always change out the headgear when I change masks. That might be a "no-no" and the culprit. I would also need to look at the humidifier. Hope I can get this resolved since I love my sleep therapy and feel so much better. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Can only relate to the P10 pillow system but after 5 months my leak rate started climbing. When I called my DME, they said I was elegible for a pillow frame replacement. This where the co2 vent is located. I got one as I thought it would to have a spare.

Guess what happened next? My leak rate wwent down a bunch. Looking at Sleepyhead, my original mask had a 2 ml leak built in brand new. After 5 months, it climbed to as much as 4 ml.

Now with the new frame, I only have occasional leaks and my average leak is zero. Big difference.

Either I got a plugged vent on my new frame or they really do get old and need replacing after the allowable time frame.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 23 1 hour ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,435 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,711 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 346 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.