Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BIPAP machine stops blowing when I stop breathing
RE: BIPAP machine stops blowing when I stop breathing
I submitted my entire sleep study and the OSCAR data from last night which was my best so far in terms of time slept on the BIPAP and the number of AHI events per hour.

I also want to thank you for suggesting the "Very High" setting for Triggers which I think made a huge difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the suggestion to reduce my Inhalation pressure to 7.   At that rate, last night I had only 2.16 apnea events per hour. Previously they were around 27 but down to 10 after raising Triggers to Very High.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you may be on a path to success with the Vauto. It would be great to see an updated chart. We've been working with very little data up to now.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thank you. I am feeling more hopeful about this possibility. 

Here are the printouts from OSCAR from last night.

Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
    Last night was the first sleeping with BiPAP over 5 hours. 

Attaching statistics page.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
This does look more promising, and your doctor is doing the right thing to wait until there is a concerted effort at making this machine work. Lower prere support and higher trigger sensitivity have produced positive results, and it's going to take effort to stick with the therapy to adapt to it and see what it can accomplish. At least now, your AHI is lower than your diagnostic baseline. Your short-term objective needs to be getting more hours in therapy than without.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
    Thank you for your encouraging feedback. Yes, I am now able to sleep with the machine for at least five hours nightly with much lower apnea episodes.

I have a question for you since we are using the same machine. I get up at least once during the time on the machine to urinate. It seems to be when I resume treatment that I am somewhat nasally-congested and apnea episodes increase somewhat. I see that you are also using the nose pillow type of mask. Do you have any nasal irritation and/or respiratory congestion or other related issues?

Thank you again.  (Last night's statistics attached."
Post Reply Post Reply
I have chronic nasal congestion and often find myself breathing through the mouth during the day. The P10 nasal mask expands the nasal passages allowing them to drain and flow more air. If seasonal allergies are bad, I use Flonase (fluticasone propionate) to reduce inflammation and restore flow. When things get bad, the first minutes of therapy can consist of a post-nasal drip and swallowing. So in addition to that, I also have pyrothyma which is making the nasal pillow fit increasingly difficult. So far I have used nasal pillows since about 2009.

Daily detail charts are much more useful in evaluating your therapy rather than statistics.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

.csv   OSCAR_willec49_Summary_2022-09-06.csv (Size: 637 bytes / Downloads: 3) Thanks for your experience and the interventions you use to deal with your nasal congestion.

I find that I am fine during the first half of the night but, after getting up to urinate, I find the congestion has built up so the second half can be difficult.

I just happened to have an appoint with my ENT doctor yesterday who suggested a nasal moisturizer. She suggested AYR Gel. Cann Ease is also a well-known moisturizer sold by many of the CPAP vendors. Also, like you, she recommended a sinus rinse. The one she mentioned is Neil Med. 

I am attaching the progress report from last night, not the statistics page.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, the Oscar report I attempted to send didn't come through properly. I think I need to learn how to share those reports.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,563 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 292 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 353 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,333 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 317 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 355 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 225 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.