Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BIPAP machine stops blowing when I stop breathing
BIPAP machine stops blowing when I stop breathing
I am trying to acclimate to my new BIPAP machine. The problem is that when I stop breathing in my sleep, the machine stops blowing. Then when I try to inhale, there is nothing there - no air- as I am sealed into the mask. This scares me and I wake up numerous times, just defeating the whole purpose of this kind of therapy. I just had my inhalation pressure reduced from a 12 to an 8 which is what they successfully used on me during my recent sleep study. Any ideas? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BIPAP machine stops blowing when I stop breathing
First make sure smartstart and stop are off. That is the only thing that will stop Flow to/ from your machine
Your daily charts will show us for sure.

I use two parts to titration, clinics and studies only use my first part.

1. Establish low numbers via titration

2. Change settings for comfort which is subjective and numberless.

I think you need more min pressure, increase min pressure by 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply.

Smartstart is off. I don't see a "stop" in my clinical menu.

I don't know what "titration" for establishing low number refers to.

I raised the inhalation pressure from 8 to 10 with exhalation still at 4. I started at 12 which was too high for me to start. Will see how the 10 works.

What are "settings for comfort" ? I don't see that. It is on Easy Breathe.

ALSO: I tried to download and join OSCAR. It looks like there is a charge for this service via insurance, etc.? Can you enlighten me on how this works?

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no charge for downloading OSCAR, nor for using it. There is a link to the download page in the black menu bar at the top of each ApneaBoard page.

There are Wiki pages to help you learn how to use OSCAR, and many members here who are happy to answer any questions you have... and you almost certainly will. Don't hesitate to ask.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Titration is the term for methodically finding your optimum therapeutic pressure, you are there. Based on your description setting min pressure to 10 was solely for comfort.

Having exhale set at 4 on an AirSense machine makes no sense when your min pressure is 7 or higher. Cannot happen.

Do post your daily charts so we can see what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I go through the process to open an account. I am asked for my date of birth and social security number. Then I come to a page saying:
"As a reminder, you need to pay your first month's premium for coverage to take effect. Otherwise your enrollment may be cancelled.." It asks me to add a bank account.

I used the link on top of the page you mentioned.
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2022, 03:58 PM)Willec49 Wrote: I used the link on top of the page you mentioned.

I'm not exactly sure what link you clicked on, but OSCAR is free.  There is no charge whatsoever, and no requirement for your SS# or to join anything.
 The link is in the black banner at the top of the page.  Or the direct link here: https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

If you are still getting requests to enter personal info or payment then you may need to check your computer (or browser) for a virus or trojan.
Try a different browser and see if you get the same results.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
I was finally able to get to the right place and got in. I submitted my profile, downloaded the SIM card from my BIPAP machine and it looks like I'm good to go.
I really appreciate your response.
Post Reply Post Reply
        Thank you for explaining what "Titration" is. 

I will be trying the maximum (not minimum) pressure of 10 tonight. 

I don't have the Res Med Air Sense 10. I have the Res Med Air Curve 10 - a BIPAP which separates the inhalation and exhalation pressure levels.

The 4 for exhalation is the maximum (not minimum) pressure. Do you think that's too low?

Oh yes, Also, I increased the "Trigger" from Medium to High to trigger inhalation pressure to respond more quickly when I resume breathing. Do you think that was a good idea? I saw it suggested on one of these list serves. 

I will post my data here.

Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Willec49,

An hours worth of data is not really enough to make and kind of decision.  You may not have even been asleep during that short period.  Try getting a full night worth of data and post your daily graph.

Also, have a look at this wiki page for organizing your charts: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
Some graphs are much more useful than others and will help other users when offering you advice.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,127 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 385 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.