Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

BIPAP vs Expiratory pressure relief
BIPAP vs Expiratory pressure relief
My ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO has stopped powering on. I tried to purchase a ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet CPap Machine thinking that its "expiratory pressure relief" would be the same as the AirCurve 10 VAUTO's BIPAP function. Is that not the case?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: BIPAP vs Expiratory pressure relief
The Airsense 11 does have pressure support, in the form of what they call EPR. However, EPR can only be set at a maximum of three, which is under the useful range for a lot of bi-pap folks, it seems.

My experience, though, is that even with similar pressure support, my AirCurve smooths out my flow limitations better and gives me a better inhale/exhale ratio.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely not the same.

The pressure support on the vAuto ranges from 0 to 10 cm H2O in steps of 0.2 cm H2O, whereas the AutoSet EPR can be 0, 1, 2, or 3 cm H2O.

The vAuto also allows setting the min and max time of inspiration, as well as the switchover points from IPAP to EPAP and vice versa (trigger and cycle).
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you jcoleman and pholynyk for your replies. My EPAP is 5-12 cm so the AirSense 11 AutoSet CPAP doesn't seem like it would be a good fit. Is there another machine you would suggest besides a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO, which doesn't seem to be available with a modem.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not too long ago I bought a refurbished AirCurve 10 vAuto from Secondwind, (Supplier #2 on our list) which did have a 4G modem. There was a considerable savings over a new unit. Highly recommended.

Not sure why you feel a modem is a requirement; The SD card can be uploaded fairly easily, and OSCAR works directly with the SD card.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been very happy with my AirCurve 10 VAUTO over the last 5 years. I have used OSCAR over the years to change my settings and to check the results, but it was convenient using the myAir website to get a quick view of my sleep patterns.  I will check out SecondWindCPAP. Thanks for the feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 962 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 489 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR pressure readings versus BIPAP display smallhandsfeeding 0 155 02-07-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 381 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  UARS, bipap pressure, I or E Wcsleep 3 439 01-12-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.