Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Oscar graph questions.
Oscar graph questions.
I'm puzzled by two graphs; the AHI display and the leak rate. I always see a large leak rate but I'm pretty sure the info. is incorrect. I've used the mask fit test in the machine program and I can't detect any leak despite moving, turning over, sitting up etc. I think I read somewhere on here if you're getting low apneas that's the test - don't worry about the large leak report.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar graph questions.
Bullabill, 

You have major leaks...until you get them stopped your AHI results don't mean much.  When you have leaks this bad it's doubtful that the machine is recording your AHI data correctly.  Nor is it treating your OSA very much.  I would not trust the mask fit test much...when you fall asleep things change.  Are you using a full face or a nasal mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Old Steve,
I'm using a nasal but I'll try a full-face tonight. It does appear to me now that the trace is mostly flat-topped and I think I read that characteristic is suggestive of open mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
A large leak means that the cpap can not even tell that you are having apnea.  Apnea is when you have a blockage and air can not get past - if you have a large leak then the air is getting past and the machine does not encounter an obstruction even if there is one in your airway.

These leaks are NOT mask leaks they are mouth leaks.  Normal ways to stop mouth leaks are full face masks, using tape to seal the mouth...  Many people practice what some call the tongue suck method.  It takes a long time of practicing but you keep the tongue on the roof of the mouth and that seals the mouth.  But it takes a lot of practice so when you do fall asleep the tongue stays on the roof.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The flat tops typically, as others have said, indicate Mouth Breathing. The chart is simply saying that the (mostly) closed system is losing a lot (large leaks) of air. A full face mask should fix that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2023, 12:50 AM)Bullabill Wrote: "I think I read somewhere on here if you're getting low apneas that's the test - don't worry about the large leak report."

This is not necessarily true.  ResMed defines large leaks AT or ABOVE 24 L/min for at least 30% of the night.

Your 95% leak rate number shows 48 L/min, and that's for a good portion of the night.

Your profile states you are using an Oral Mask? If so, your mouth should seal around the mask and you should be breathing through your nose. I assume your mouth/jaw must be opening during sleep. You're apparently trying to mouth breathe which your leak graph confirms.

If you're using a nasal mask, same issue... you are mouth breathing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those leaks aren't great. Until you get them under control you aren't really getting good therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Overview Line Graph Jan Flikweert 15 254 04-19-2024, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Jan Flikweert
  Oscar question - flow rate graph not showing kkjacks 7 317 03-23-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Trouble scrolling in a zoomed graph window. morningstar 2 498 09-26-2023, 12:43 PM
Last Post: morningstar
  [Feature Request] EPR mode in overview pressure graph tossinandturnin 8 898 07-24-2023, 06:24 AM
Last Post: tossinandturnin
  No graph in OSCAR Sleepygrl 4 2,040 07-14-2023, 09:38 PM
Last Post: RedMtl
  Graph data missing dalderson66 6 1,243 05-23-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Feature Request] Flow Rate graph to Audio File? omonoiatis9 1 571 05-05-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: DavidEsp

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.